Declining a contract or cancelling an interview Declining a contract or cancelling an interview
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    121

    Default Declining a contract or cancelling an interview

    I'm on the bench and a large ex-client of mine has informed me (after one of those interviews where it appeared that I just needed to turn up) they'll be making an offer
    The paperwork process has started but I haven't seen sight of the contract yet - there's not much chance the role will get canned but you never know.

    I do however, have hiring manager interviews lined up with another couple of prospective clients over the next few days (1. Another large ex-client and 2. A moderate size consultancy I've never dealt with before).

    As I haven't signed/seen a contract and the market hasn't felt at all lively this year I'm not feeling all that keen to shut down the other prospects and cancel the interviews etc by telling them about my incoming offer, but neither do I want them to feel strung along (partly because last time I turned down an offer from a prospective client post-interview, that same client refused my application when the role opened up again a few months or so down the line, so I'd clearly upset them by refusing).

    So when do you tell the other agents involved with the other roles about incoming offers and essentially pull out from client interviews etc?

  2. #2

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    167

    Default

    When your bum is on the seat

  3. #3

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    485

    Default

    As mousey says.

    The way the contracting is they should expect any candidate to be taken off the market at any minute. So if they get tulipty (they will. Especially agents) just ignore it.

    If asked in an interview I usually say I’ve had a couple of other interviews in the last couple of days that have gone well. Regardless if it’s true or not.

  4. #4

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    7

    Default

    what i have experienced in my time it seems is with contractors, anything goes? i've had contracts offered, attended onboarding prior to start date and then the role has eventually been pulled.

    how many of us have been left waiting when assured a role was a done deal and offer should be received next day. It's a running theme unfortuntaely. So until you have something concrete don't trust anyone.

  5. #5

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    121

    Default

    I've now got the offer through by email (contract to follow). All the details are correct, and to be fair the agent running the gig has been communicating better than most.

    So with the larger clients it usually takes a week or so from the offer until your bum is in the seat.

    In the meantime, I'm likely to get another offer from at least one of these other contracts and it just doesn't feel right to accept an offer knowing that they aren't my choice.
    Do you not find it burns bridges with both the client and agent if you accept an offer and then pull out? I know some of you help with contractor CV sifting, do you hold it against candidates that pulled out in the past?

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    38,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by man View Post
    I've now got the offer through by email (contract to follow). All the details are correct, and to be fair the agent running the gig has been communicating better than most.

    So with the larger clients it usually takes a week or so from the offer until your bum is in the seat.

    In the meantime, I'm likely to get another offer from at least one of these other contracts and it just doesn't feel right to accept an offer knowing that they aren't my choice.
    Do you not find it burns bridges with both the client and agent if you accept an offer and then pull out? I know some of you help with contractor CV sifting, do you hold it against candidates that pulled out in the past?
    Tell them you accept pending a successful contract check. It can take up to a week for the likes of QDOS to check the contract so could give you a bit a breathing space. When you turn it down you've not technically breached but it won't mean the agent and client are any less pissed off with you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Just be up-front with them as to what's happening. That's what you'd want if you were in their situation. The Golden Rule is pretty good business practice, in the long run.

  8. #8

    Banned


    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by man View Post
    I've now got the offer through by email (contract to follow). All the details are correct, and to be fair the agent running the gig has been communicating better than most.

    So with the larger clients it usually takes a week or so from the offer until your bum is in the seat.

    In the meantime, I'm likely to get another offer from at least one of these other contracts and it just doesn't feel right to accept an offer knowing that they aren't my choice.
    Do you not find it burns bridges with both the client and agent if you accept an offer and then pull out? I know some of you help with contractor CV sifting, do you hold it against candidates that pulled out in the past?
    If the offer you are looking to park for a week or so, while you consider other offers, is from the large ex client then yes, you could piss them off especially if you had the turn up, say your name and you've got the job type interview.

    It's ok saying you are likely to get these other offers but is that the case? Agents will spin you any old crap to keep you on the hook while you wait.

    Up to you whether you feel lucky. Well, do ya punk?!

  9. #9

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Just be up-front with them as to what's happening. That's what you'd want if you were in their situation. The Golden Rule is pretty good business practice, in the long run.
    Went with this in the end, feel good about it.

    And to clarify, it was my already-offering ex-client that I really wanted the contract with, it was jhat I could see a risk of it falling through and if so, knew I'd regret throwing the other opportunities away.

  10. #10

    Fingers like lightning

    billybiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Just be up-front with them as to what's happening. That's what you'd want if you were in their situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Agents will spin you any old crap to keep you on the hook while you wait.
    Hmm...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •