• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dealing with an Awkward Permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with an Awkward Permie

So, in a team of 6 devs there is only 1 permie. He's a recently qualified (2 yrs) graduate and since joining I've been struggling to comprehend how he's got the chutzpah to throw his weight around like he does.

Well, just found out that in this clientco's view (a certain BS in Wiltshire) he is senior to us seasoned contractors just by dint of his being the only permie. And doesn't he like to let us know...

Worst thing is, he's completely useless and invariably wrong about everything but, unfortunately always points the finger of blame your way until you've taken enough time out to pin the fault back on him. And at this point, there's absolutely no contrition whatsoever.

Not quite sure I can suck this up for another 4 months without doing/saying something very unprofessional.

On a serious note though, seniority just through being a permie isn't something I've really come across in all the time I've being doing this. Is it common?

Couple of points here for me. Firstly, new grads, even a couple of years in, being too big for their own boots isn't unusual to varying levels. Some people get a degree and suddenly think they are the best thing since sliced bread. This has been demonstrated on a few posts about new grads contracting a few years out of Uni on here. They always ******* fabulous at everything with less than 3 years working under their belt. Thankfully all but the truly deluded ones that can be mentored around. Elevated importance does appear to be a fairly common trait of grads though. Some of them are actually very good, just not all of them.
    Unfortunately this attitude is probably one of the hardest to work with. I've worked with disgruntled employees pissed of at contractors for a reason and if you deal with that reason it can often work out fairly well. Self importance isn't easy to break. For those willing to listen and be mentored then there are some fairly basic techniques to win them around.

All that said, going back to this point..

On a serious note though, seniority just through being a permie isn't something I've really come across in all the time I've being doing this. Is it common
    It does exist to some extent I believe. You are a supplier, they are the client. It does hold a certain position power which, IMO, we have to be aware of. That doesn't mean you should get trodden in to the carpet but you are bottom of the pile compared to the permies. You step out of line and you are gone, not a problem for the permie so we do have to act slightly differently.

I don't think that's really the issue here though, looks like the kid is a dick and despite the two different issues facing you you've just got to admit in this instance he's out of order on both points so not much you can do.

Just have to see if you can action either of the issues (his attitude and the client/supplier situation) and if not just suffer it or walk.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 March 2019, 14:00.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Keep billing think of the money as this is very common no point trying to fight it unless you want to work elsewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Just have to see if you can action either of the issues (his attitude and the client/supplier situation) and if not just suffer it or walk.
        Yes, 2 problems here. The most senior individual that I deal with is the program manager- he's a contractor too and is very unwilling to rock the boat.

Secondly, they have a kind group here that seems to exist solely for the purpose of enforcing the clientco's ethics and values. This guy is a leading light on that so I don't see this ending in my favour if I were to pursue it any further.

So, yeah. Suck it up or walk basically.

Comment

PM’s job to sort him out not you in your code monkey role

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Couple of points here for me. Firstly, new grads, even a couple of years in, being too big for their own boots isn't unusual to varying levels. Some people get a degree and suddenly think they are the best thing since sliced bread...
            This is especially noticeable amongst the Big 4. Cocky little s*ds the lot of them !

Comment

You and the other contractors take him out for dinner somewhere posh. Ply him with decent wine. Make sure he doesn't pay for anything.

Make sure that you flash cash as often as you can when he's around.

Park next to him in your Porsche.

Essentially rub his nose in that fact that he's on thruppence a day and you're all mega-millionaires, don't have to work and are independently wealthy.

Being gently patronising and obviously humouring him will further deflate him.

But never be nasty or unkind.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

This is good practice. See it as a challenge. This won't be the last time you have to deal with this.

If you can get to the point where you don't get flustered when someone attacks you, you have achieved a new higher plane.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  This is good practice. See it as a challenge. This won't be the last time you have to deal with this.

If you can get to the point where you don't get flustered when someone attacks you, you have achieved a new higher plane.

Yup. Break out the every time the numpty tries to get under your skin. I'm like a cheshire cat laughing off some of the bollox permies get up to, they mistakenly think I really give a damn.

I don't waste any effort playing their games, just be prepared to defend myself if it comes down to it in a matter of fact way that they can take or leave. One of the perks of contracting.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Couple of points here for me. Firstly, new grads, even a couple of years in, being too big for their own boots isn't unusual to varying levels. Some people get a degree and suddenly think they are the best thing since sliced bread. This has been demonstrated on a few posts about new grads contracting a few years out of Uni on here. They always ******* fabulous at everything with less than 3 years working under their belt. Thankfully all but the truly deluded ones that can be mentored around. Elevated importance does appear to be a fairly common trait of grads though. Some of them are actually very good, just not all of them.
                    Unfortunately this attitude is probably one of the hardest to work with. I've worked with disgruntled employees pissed of at contractors for a reason and if you deal with that reason it can often work out fairly well. Self importance isn't easy to break. For those willing to listen and be mentored then there are some fairly basic techniques to win them around.

All that said, going back to this point..

It does exist to some extent I believe. You are a supplier, they are the client. It does hold a certain position power which, IMO, we have to be aware of. That doesn't mean you should get trodden in to the carpet but you are bottom of the pile compared to the permies. You step out of line and you are gone, not a problem for the permie so we do have to act slightly differently.

I don't think that's really the issue here though, looks like the kid is a dick and despite the two different issues facing you you've just got to admit in this instance he's out of order on both points so not much you can do.

You can keep pedalling the myths that you need to have a head full of grey hair to go contracting but that is simply not true.

Comment

Working...
                    X