• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suit for interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carm F View Post
    The best advice I was given is to 'dress for the job you want not the job you've got'
    I tried this and went dressed as Batman, didn’t get the gig
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      The worst thing would be to be interviewed in a power suit by a manager in jeans. There has to be accommodation towards mirroring without taking it too far, I believe.
      I don't believe this at all and by thinking this you are missing some very basic points. The client's dress policy has absolutely no bearing on your ability to give a first impression. Just because someone is allowed to, and choses to wear jeans at work doesn't mean a good first impression is key for the interview. Yes, he may not be bothered that you've dressed the same but there is the chance he is. If you wear a suit that risk is removed. There is little to no chance being dressed smart will have a negative impact on the interview, being dressed casually can. Why take that chance over the price of a smart suit/outfit?

Dress codes change and have become much more relaxed but smart never get's old.

Obviously going over the top with a fashion suit/shoes and the like isn't a good thing, it never has. It's just about being smart and presentable.

That said I'm still the guy that turns up to a black tie ball in a full regalia. Pisses me off when the millennials just come in their work suit and even more so without a tie.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What does your accountant say?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I don't believe this at all and by thinking this you are missing some very basic points. The client's dress policy has absolutely no bearing on your ability to give a first impression. Just because someone is allowed to, and choses to wear jeans at work doesn't mean a good first impression is key for the interview. Yes, he may not be bothered that you've dressed the same but there is the chance he is. If you wear a suit that risk is removed. There is little to no chance being dressed smart will have a negative impact on the interview, being dressed casually can. Why take that chance over the price of a smart suit/outfit?

Obviously going over the top with a fashion suit/shoes and the like isn't a good thing, it never has. It's just about being smart and presentable.

That said I'm still the guy that turns up to a black tie ball in a full regalia. Pisses me off when the millennials just come in their work suit and even more so without a tie.
          1. Thanks for clarifying the points I've missed, as opposed to acknowledging a difference of opinion based on another's experiences.
          2. The chance one takes over dressing 'bloody smartly' may, (note the word 'may') be offset by someone thinking you are / one is a cock to be so over dressed 'in this day and age', and for this industry.
          3. My 'opinion' is based on my own experiences. My industry is Telco and Media, which may go some way towards providing context.
          4. Of course if you disagree, please could you submit a complete list of every point I have ever missed. I will then go away to better myself.

As does spelling and grammar never loses its shine...

Let the games begin...
          Last edited by simes; 14 March 2019, 14:38.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            There is little to no chance being dressed smart will have a negative impact on the interview, being dressed casually can.
            I think it can in certain circumstances.

I certainly wouldn't go in to a trendy graphics bureau dressed to the T for a start as I'm sure I'd come over somewhat L7.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
              I need a new suit for interviews,
              Does a quality suit (expensive) make much difference
              Anyone got Ideas about this

If you are one of the top in your field what you wear will not matter. If you are a average joe you need to distract them with how you appear so a decent suit might be worth it.

I wear 5 year old jeans and tulipty tshirt, always get the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                If you are one of the top in your field what you wear will not matter. If you are a average joe you need to distract them with how you appear so a decent suit might be worth it.

I wear 5 year old jeans and tulipty tshirt, always get the gig.
                Don't you find them a bit tight? Still at least you avoid the VAT. :-D

Comment

What places are you interviewing at where they care what make your suit is? It's one thing to judge someone who isn't wearing a suit. You need to be pretty confident to decide not to wear what is seen as the universal standard interview attire. But to judge someone's IT skills based on their suit seems like a pretty poor recruitment policy.

Comment

wearing a nice suit and looking smart makes you feel good.
                    if you feel good then its going to help your come across well.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy Shrotersfield View Post
                      I think it can in certain circumstances.

I certainly wouldn't go in to a trendy graphics bureau dressed to the T for a start as I'm sure I'd come over somewhat L7.
                      Possibly true for situations like that. Over dressing can be as bad as under-dressing but doesn't take away from the fact that people are hard wired to make snap decisions in the first few seconds of introduction whatever they may themselves be more comfortable wearing. Plenty of research out there to back this up. Much more chance of it being an positive or at worst a neutral impressing by dressing smartly (factoring in what is appropriate for the industry as well I guess).

Obviously there is much more to it. The handshake, the initial greeting, the shoes even. The suit/jacket & trousers is only part of it.
                      Nothing worse than when people offer a handshake still sat down and then that handshake is some limp wristed wet fish affair. You've a mountain to climb already.

Pauldee makes a good point about the confidence and yes, offering gigs because of what you wear is really poor, but it's still a differentiator, like it or not.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X