• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suit for interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You're going for a gig that could be with over a 100k a year man. It's got to be the best. Top names and top dollar or just don't bother going. If it's been custom made for you in Italy you've got to drop it in to the chat at interview. Deffo to be the differentiator that gets you the gig.

Get in after Vwdan and his Topman rags and the gig is yours.
    Just don't spill spaghetti on it when flying back from the final fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Get in after Vwdan and his Topman rags and the gig is yours.
      If he's the first person to ever beat me in interview I'll be right upset!

Comment

I don't think a suit is necessary for a lot of gigs and may give off a negative impression for some places. If you turn up at a design agency or start up that has a relaxed dress code, turning up in a suit might mark you out as a poor cultural fit, especially if your experience shows a string of Banks and Blue collar firms.

I haven't wore a suit for a long time, but then again I've not had a face to face interview for a while too.

Personally, I just ask the agent what the dress code in the office is like. If they say it's smart, I'd wear a suit, if not I wouldn't. In any case I'd make sure I was dressed well presented and smart. There's a lot of ways to do so without a suit.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post

I haven't wore a suit for a long time, but then again I've not had a face to face interview for a while too.
          No, that's true - don't think I've had a face to face in over 3 years though I had a skype video call for my current role so I dressed up for that; at least the top half of me - probably had sweat pants on down below.

Comment

This is one area where the agent should know if first appearances are required to deviate from the norm, by way of either client telling them it matters that much or from earlier interviewee feedback.

So always suited unless the agent specifically mentions the client looks down on that as they are some hippy clappy upstart that are all about the ego.

Even if the client has a relaxed dress code and they themselves attend the interview in jeans and T shirt they may expect candidates to be suited appropriately, and those that turn up in casuals may be seen as being potential hard work if they think the rules don't apply to them as they are special.

Even Peter Jones on Dragons Den makes comment to prospects that don't make an effort in appearance, while he is sat there in kids socks.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Even Peter Jones on Dragons Den makes comment to prospects that don't make an effort in appearance, while he is sat there in kids socks.
              He does. But this is one very specific example whereby those going into the den are aware of the dress code as set by the dragons, and thus it should be emulated.

Although above I have exemplified my media and telco based practice based upon experience, if I was ever to find myself going into the Den, then a suit (and brightly coloured socks) would be the standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                Nothing wrong with his socks. I think they are great and also wear striped socks with a suit... but... not to an interview.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i don't do suits any more.
                  most of my peers are dead or retired.
                  i only work when i get too bored, and need some extra wonga for nice things
                  what i look like is irrelevant to what i know, and have done.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    i don't do suits any more.
                    most of my peers are dead or retired.
                    i only work when i get too bored, and need some extra wonga for nice things
                    what i look like is irrelevant to what i know, and have done.
                    Have you done questionable things?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Have you done questionable things?
                      nothing you'd understand mr smeg

Comment

Working...
                      X