• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suit for interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suit for interviews

I need a new suit for interviews,
    Does a quality suit (expensive) make much difference
    Anyone got Ideas about this

Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
    this. - guaranteed gig, every time

Luxury British Tailoring & Menswear

– William Hunt Savile Row

Comment

Depends on your definition of expensive - you want to look decent, but no, I don't think it makes a huge difference in this day and age.

My suits are normally about £250 and I've got all the jobs I've interviewed for. I didn't wear a tie for the last couple, either.

From being on the other side of the table, I've definitely spoken (badly) about people who couldn't seem to make an effort and heard others do the same but even so it was primarily their interview that mattered.

Comment

You're going for a gig that could be with over a 100k a year man. It's got to be the best. Top names and top dollar or just don't bother going. If it's been custom made for you in Italy you've got to drop it in to the chat at interview. Deffo to be the differentiator that gets you the gig.

Get in after Vwdan and his Topman rags and the gig is yours.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've been on the hiring side during a period of lots of work and late nights. I wanted a quality coder by my side who could pull out all the stops under pressure, and frankly I didn't see how a nice suit or shiny shoes was going to help me.

Comment

The best advice I was given is to 'dress for the job you want not the job you've got' so I have alwas gone to town with interviews, absolute best of everything is coming out.

However my last 2 have been over zoom so the top half was top dollar while the bottom was my trackies!

Good luck with your interviews.

Comment

If you’re going to wear a tie, make sure it’s tied properly and up to your collar, not with your top button open. You’re not at school.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You're going for a gig that could be with over a 100k a year man. It's got to be the best. Top names and top dollar or just don't bother going. If it's been custom made for you in Italy you've got to drop it in to the chat at interview. Deffo to be the differentiator that gets you the gig.

Get in after Vwdan and his Topman rags and the gig is yours.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Can't remember the last time I wore a suit for interview.

Smart casual trousers, proper shoes, shirt and a jacket, to be sure. But that is because of the environment I work in.

The worst thing would be to be interviewed in a power suit by a manager in jeans. There has to be accommodation towards mirroring without taking it too far, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
                    spend £250 on an off the peg suit from a tailor. Slater's in Leeds is one I'd recommend.

It's more than a £180 M&S suite but will last several years with regular use (3 days a week for 5 years for my last one).
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X