• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End client refusal to sign timesheet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not sure why you've got a problem with comment. I don't agree that the OP is likely to get canned for this but he doesn't look good at all.

I do totally believe being a 'trouble maker' doesn't end well for contractors, particularly if there other factors involved, not so great performance, head cut coming etc.

I challenged a blanket decision and tried to see the results of my determination at a public sector client once and the line manager took me aside and gave me a pretty stern dressing down saying it is what it is, drop it or go. Was rather testy in the office from there on in so definitely gained myself that label. So yes, being labelled a trouble maker is a real thing.
    Can't believe you could be a troublemaker NLUK. A nice calm polite chap like you.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Can't believe you could be a troublemaker NLUK. A nice calm polite chap like you.
      Amen to that brother
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        Wasn't at all sure Epiphone's point was worth responding to.

To wit, I am at a set up currently whereby the agency (or in this case more likely, the payroll company) have absolutely no involvement with representation or the resolving of issues. Everything is essentially up to me to resolve. Timesheet approving, contract renewal, rate rises etc. All me.

And, I have been in environments in which the agency does take a larger role.

But the 'getting canned for being a troublemaker' comment...!

This is exactly the scenario I'm in. The Payroll and Umbrella don't really care and they've even told me to take it up with her manager if there's an issue.

FWIW, I am a software developer I could probably be replaced but I pretty much now entirely run the development and maintenance of a widely used government system. In the event I leave, they would have to find someone else to take over and getting to grips with the system would take weeks. I should feel safe but I don't right now.

We've had some issues with the app lately but this is down to said manager cutting resources and effectively leaving me with the work of 3 developers. The way the project is ran is beyond a joke. It felt a while ago, when the other guys were moved and let go respectively, like I was being set up to fail. I had a chat with the manager yesterday when she called to ask why we were delayed on delivering the latest phase of the app. I explained that we were undermanned, our other devs were gone, our tester has been seconded to another project for end of year and the business changes their minds more often that I can count. Immediately after that call, my BA tells me that she phoned him trying to get him to name me as the reason why it was behind.

Ultimately, I've got an interview at 1pm today and if that comes off, I'm just going to leave. I can do without the stress from her potentially canning me while at the same time flogging me to death to get an app out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by DurhamLad View Post
          This is exactly the scenario I'm in. The Payroll and Umbrella don't really care and they've even told me to take it up with her manager if there's an issue.

FWIW, I am a software developer I could probably be replaced but I pretty much now entirely run the development and maintenance of a widely used government system. In the event I leave, they would have to find someone else to take over and getting to grips with the system would take weeks. I should feel safe but I don't right now.

We've had some issues with the app lately but this is down to said manager cutting resources and effectively leaving me with the work of 3 developers. The way the project is ran is beyond a joke. It felt a while ago, when the other guys were moved and let go respectively, like I was being set up to fail. I had a chat with the manager yesterday when she called to ask why we were delayed on delivering the latest phase of the app. I explained that we were undermanned, our other devs were gone, our tester has been seconded to another project for end of year and the business changes their minds more often that I can count. Immediately after that call, my BA tells me that she phoned him trying to get him to name me as the reason why it was behind.

Ultimately, I've got an interview at 1pm today and if that comes off, I'm just going to leave. I can do without the stress from her potentially canning me while at the same time flogging me to death to get an app out the door.
          Time to walk I'm afraid. If the management dont have your back not much you can do especially as a contractor. For bonus points always send out the minutes of the meeting to all who attended.
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
            Time to walk I'm afraid. If the management dont have your back not much you can do especially as a contractor. For bonus points always send out the minutes of the meeting to all who attended.
            The management is all over the place. A lot of fallout over a move last year to bring in outside consultants who've billed £millions and delivered nothing; quite literally nothing. A lot of senior management/directors are gone, the news coming through via email that they are 'moving on to other challenges'. The consultants brought in last year are out the door end of the month. The only stable thing at the client has been the established contractor teams who have consistently delivered what they've asked. Seems strange to me that a manager would go out of their way to p*ss off the people actually doing the work. As someone said earlier, 'nowt queer as folk'.

Comment

You outside IR35 status must be in serious jeopardy...

Just saying like...

Comment

Sounds like you would just be able to walk with zero notice. There will be plenty of other things for them to be taking care of than taking someone to task over contract stipulation.

Hope for the interview today, you've said immediate availability.

Comment

Originally posted by DurhamLad View Post

Aye time to go. Remember thats one of the advantages of being a contractor.

Honestly, I did it in the past, sucked it up and thought of the money because it was a local gig. Made me miserable and ill in the end. Lifes too short to put up with this sort of thing IMHO. Some people can put up with it, some can't.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    Sounds like you would just be able to walk with zero notice. There will be plenty of other things for them to be taking care of than taking someone to task over contract stipulation.

Hope for the interview today, you've said immediate availability.
                    Huh.. Surely the other way. If he's a single point of failure and walks he'll be the focus of their attention.

Comment

Am sure time will tell.

But, being the company's focus of attention upon his exit due to his single point of failure-ness will likely / should result in the quick hiring of someone else.

This as opposed to concentrating on the fining of someone who, once fined, still won't be back to resolve their problems.

That was kinda where I was going with my comment.

Comment

Working...
                      X