• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End client refusal to sign timesheet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End client refusal to sign timesheet

Hi

Been contracting 5 years now worked a few gigs outside of IR35 but for the last two years, I've been on a public sector gig inside IR35 just so I can stay close to my kids.

Never had a problem with time sheets being signed, no one ever had any reason to complain about my work. In fact, I've just been offered another 12 month extension.

Anyway, I've been on a fortnightly payroll and last week submitted a time sheet for approval so that the the agency could pay me on Friday. I heard nothing back from the manager in charge and sent a gentle reminder on the Thursday; I had until midday to get it in for payment.

Anyway, nothing came back. Manager was clearly avoiding me and I didn't get paid.

This morning I sent a message over Skype to the manager asking if there was an issue to which I am sternly told I need to go monthly instead of fortnightly. Now while I appreciate this might be a valid request, I'm a bit peeved that I am just being blindsided by this after the time sheet has gone in, (not to mention 2 years of fornightly payroll), and they're refusing to budge. The annoying thing is, this is the end client. The agency are happy to pay me fortnightly but won't cough up without the time sheet.

I've offered to go monthly in the new financial year but explained that I would appreciate being paid fornightly for now. They just don't bother to respond to me and I'm pulling my hair out...what hair i have left anyway.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? I am starting to get a bit angry now since it seems that they could just refuse to sign a time sheet at any time and I'm feeling less inclined to continue working the full month. Who's to say they won't just refuse to sign at the end of the month?

Not sure how to proceed and any advice would be appreciated.

Why does it make any difference to the client? Does he only have to sign monthly if you're on monthly invoice? Or are the agency insisting on billing him fortnightly?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Why does it make any difference to the client? Does he only have to sign monthly if you're on monthly invoice? Or are the agency insisting on billing him fortnightly?
      The agency bill them monthly but pay me fortnightly; when I took the job on I was told I'd be paid fortnightly and for 2 years they've been happy to sign time sheets at that interval and the agency are happy to pay me. Admittedly, I've had several other managers in time here but the current manager has just taken over a project I'm working on and apparently has the hump with me. I suspect it's because they don't want to have to send me an email twice a month saying 'Approved'. (She's one of these people who likes to tell everyone how busy they are but they're doing nothing)

I've just been shown an email by my PM who can't understand the issue either. The manager asked them to confirm last week, before deadline that I'd done the hours I've submitted and he confirmed it almost immediately. I've seen the whole email chain but they still didn't send approval to me at time.

Like I said, this isn't the agency causing the issue. They would pay me if the time sheets are submitted to them by deadline and confirmed as much today; they just won't pay without it. It's my very awkward end-client (manager) who is the stumbling block and I'm at a loss to explain why they are being so awkward.

Not sure how to progress. This is my livelihood and since I'm not outside IR35 I don't have that much of a cushion to cover me. I'm now starting to feel more reticent about doing work since it appears that I'm not being paid for it. The manager hasn't acknowledged any of my emails/concerns that I've sent today. I even offered to go monthly in the new financial year but said I would appreciate being paid now for work that I've done.

Comment

Join a union. They’re good at protecting employees.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Join a union. They’re good at protecting employees.
          Let me guess, I'm not a real contractor unless I'm outside IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by DurhamLad View Post
            Let me guess, I'm not a real contractor unless I'm outside IR35?
            never mind him, he's a twat.
            tell your PM that you'll walk if they don't sign off, and look for another gig.
            if you've got a manager like that you probably want to walk anyway.
            it's krap, but sometimes you come up against one who just wants to exercise control 'cos they can<and usually 'cos they're krap themselves>

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              it's krap, but sometimes you come up against one who just wants to exercise control 'cos they can<and usually 'cos they're krap themselves>
              Is his issue that he is genuinely short of time, and wants to cut down number of sheets he signs. Or is it just an ego or status game. If it's the first they could delegate.

I have a simple rule if I am not getting paid I don't work, that also motivates the agency to start negotiating. Don't just carry on as like you my trust that they would sign the sheet at the end of the month would be minimal.

You stuck to your side of the deal. Be prepared to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                Thanks, I intend to speak the head of digital delivery if I get no joy tomorrow. I'm worried though because I'll soon be owed 15 days and I can't really see the point in continuing if I'm not going to get paid. On the downside though they'll refuse to pay me if I just down tools. Can't see how they could argue dissatisfaction though since they've just offered me an extension.

There's always one pillock to work with though, and you're dead right in your assessment. How they've got a job running development when they have no technical nouse is beyond me. Then again, it's the public sector and one thing that I've sharp realised in this place is its not what you know, it's who you know (and who's arse you kiss)

Also, I'm used to the jibes about being inside IR35 but frankly I got tired of living in B&B's and spending no time with the kids. Healthier bank balance but not a healthier family life.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                  Is his issue that he is genuinely short of time, and wants to cut down number of sheets he signs. Or is it just an ego or status game. If it's the first they could delegate.

I have a simple rule if I am not getting paid I don't work, that also motivates the agency to start negotiating. Don't just carry on as like you my trust that they would sign the sheet at the end of the month would be minimal.

You stuck to your side of the deal. Be prepared to walk.
                  It's literally an email that says 'Approved' responding to an email I send with my hours on it. Takes all of a minute to sign off. I might have given them the benefit of the doubt that they were busy but the PM showed me the email chain
                  from the very morning I sent the reminder asking him to confirm my hours.

This morning, when I asked over Skype I simply got told I had to go monthly. I've not heard a peep since.

I'm very tempted to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by DurhamLad View Post
                    <snip>

I'm very tempted to walk.
                    walk then , or at least tell them you're walking, and why, and give them a day to sort it.
                    then walk.

Comment

Working...
                    X