• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very cheap business mobile contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cheap business mobile contract

I have been on the lookout for a good business sim only contract for a while now.

I came across this website via a Facebook add:
    BMD - NEW - MAIN - 24032019

They offer 50GB data, 2000 texts and minutes to EU, unlimited UK texts and minutes for under £10 + VAT.
    They say that there is no catch... but it just looks too good to be true.

Opinions, advice?
    Last edited by zonkkk; 26 March 2019, 13:56.

6 month old domain, not one iota of company information on the site anywhere, awful website, very little content/offers, no T&C's ... nothing.

Wouldn't touch it with PC's.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The guy seemed OK when I contacted them via chat.
      The contract is with O2.

What are your reservations; what could go wrong?
      Thanks.

Comment

Lots of people can seem ok on chat.

If you are paying month to month, rather than giving them a lot of money up front, and the contract lets you terminate if the service is bad, I don't see a problem. Lots of startups offer great deals as a way to build a clientele.

What could go wrong? They could take payment for six months and then fold after six days, and you're out 60 quid.

Since you can't check the T&Cs on their website there's no way to know what you might be locking yourself into, or what other pitfalls there might be.

Chances are it would be ok. Some guy probably had a big payout from a voluntary redundancy, went to O2, and bought a big package from them, and now he's trying to sell it. If he sells it all, he'll make a little bit of profit on the deal and probably be able to stay in business for a while. Maybe he's a brilliant businessman and will succeed wildly, maybe it will all go pear-shaped on him in a year or so. Either way, you'll probably end up with cheap mobile for a year. Probably. As long as you aren't locked in too long or having to pay too much in advance, you're probably risking very little.

Unless it's all a front to steal your identity, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          Lots of people can seem ok on chat.

If you are paying month to month, rather than giving them a lot of money up front, and the contract lets you terminate if the service is bad, I don't see a problem. Lots of startups offer great deals as a way to build a clientele.

What could go wrong? They could take payment for six months and then fold after six days, and you're out 60 quid.

Since you can't check the T&Cs on their website there's no way to know what you might be locking yourself into, or what other pitfalls there might be.

Chances are it would be ok. Some guy probably had a big payout from a voluntary redundancy, went to O2, and bought a big package from them, and now he's trying to sell it. If he sells it all, he'll make a little bit of profit on the deal and probably be able to stay in business for a while. Maybe he's a brilliant businessman and will succeed wildly, maybe it will all go pear-shaped on him in a year or so. Either way, you'll probably end up with cheap mobile for a year. Probably. As long as you aren't locked in too long or having to pay too much in advance, you're probably risking very little.

Unless it's all a front to steal your identity, of course.
          No upfront payment; contract with that company not directly with O2, terms and conditions emailed after an initial phone discussion... decisions, decisions...

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
            The guy seemed OK when I contacted them via chat.
            The contract is with O2.

What are your reservations; what could go wrong?
            Thanks.
            Apparently the guys running the recent HMRC scam out of India were great in chat a swell

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
              No upfront payment; contract with that company not directly with O2, terms and conditions emailed after an initial phone discussion... decisions, decisions...
              When do you get a copy of the data and privacy policy.. After you've given all your info to them??

Their website breaks the law so however cheap on these two alone I'm out.

We invoice for 100's of K a year. You want to take the risk over a phone contract that's £10 a month or so cheaper? Not me.

Chances are you'll be OK but your choice though.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Apparently the guys running the recent HMRC scam out of India were great in chat a swell
                No upfront payments.

The only thing I am worried about is they will probably set-up a direct debit on to my company's bank account.

Comment

Why not go for a personal SIM only contract - yes you then have to pay the VAT and can't expense it, but frankly they can work out better overall value for money than a 'business' contract: Money Saving Expert SIM only

And as to the worst that can happen? I've had 3 accidentally cancel my contract mid-term on the day before I flew abroad and I spent the entire day (OK, well 6+ hours anyway) sorting it out with them as they were hopeless and couldn't send a replacement SIM abroad.

Also, what about losing your number?

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
                    Why not go for a personal SIM only contract - yes you then have to pay the VAT and can't expense it, but frankly they can work out better overall value for money than a 'business' contract: Money Saving Expert SIM only

And as to the worst that can happen? I've had 3 accidentally cancel my contract mid-term on the day before I flew abroad and I spent the entire day (OK, well 6+ hours anyway) sorting it out with them as they were hopeless and couldn't send a replacement SIM abroad.

Also, what about losing your number?
                    That is what I am doing currently; but this is much better than any personal SIM only contracts currently available. In the big scheme of things, I agree it is negligible.
                    Apparently, you can port your number.

Comment

Working...
                    X