• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

client offers perm role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

client offers perm role

1 month into a initial 3 month gig and the client wants to know if i would take a perm role.

head hurts...
    been a long week already..

really not had a chance to get a good read of the environment.
    also not really had a chance to get the measure of the MD.

what do....

How on earth do you expect us to help you with a post like that?

You sit down and you think about it a bit before maybe posting a question on here with all the relevant facts so we can help you with an informed decision..

But.. at the end of the day it's a highly personal decision based on highly personal circumstances so it's up to you.

EDIT : Can we move to General please?

EDIT 2 : You've been there 4 weeks. If you can't get the measure of either the environment or the MD in that time then YANCOTBAC. Take the perm gig.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 28 March 2019, 16:43.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sit down, think, weigh up the differences and reply.

There isn't really much to go on from what you've posted....

Comment

RUN!
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

So they will give you a perm role with 6 months probation at half the money you're now on and then dispose of you at the end of the probation period, because there's "not enough work"

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            So they will give you a perm role with 6 months probation at half the money you're now on and then dispose of you at the end of the probation period, because there's "not enough work"
            There could be a few games in play here. Another one is the client always wanted a permie and is baiting the hook with a short term contract to get potential applicants through the door.

Counter moves in this instance would be to say you'll think about it and decide by the end of the contract term, and if you move to accept the offer make sure the contract acted as the probation period.

The client has opened negotiations, so you are now free to make your terms known, just make sure you handle it better than the UK government has with the EU.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Cheers for all the reply's....Even you NLUK...

I have spent the last month auditing the IT environment here and this week we had a couple of chaps over from the mother company (who have not had any direct involvement so far) to go over my findings.

Next week my proposal for a 12-24 month program will go before the board.

i suppose the first hurdle is to see if they are going to approve the program and make available the budget to do so, if not then there is no role either perm or contract.

Comment

Common occurrence. You've been there a month and they like you so someone is thinking "we can save £x if he goes perm".

Nearly every client I've been at has tried the permie lure. I ALWAYS say no. Some have asked because they've been told to ask me but they know I'm going to say no. Some are surprised when I politely decline and just don't get it.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Common occurrence. You've been there a month and they like you so someone is thinking "we can save £x if he goes perm".

Nearly every client I've been at has tried the permie lure. I ALWAYS say no. Some have asked because they've been told to ask me but they know I'm going to say no. Some are surprised when I politely decline and just don't get it.
                  Clients only tend to ask contractors to go perm when they spot someone that isn't very good. They assume the crap ones might be swayed with regular income more reflective of their skills rather than struggling contracting. No point asking the super good contractors because its obvious they are in demand would want far want too much.

HTH
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nonsense.

A team leader on a project I was part of once had a quiet word asking if I was interested in going permie for a salary somewhat higher than the nearest comparable permie was on. I declined and later he went contracting.

Result: Contractors 2, Permies nil
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X