• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies asking for previous contracting rates. What is your view?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make up a number that helps you negotiate the next rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by siphr View Post
      Hello,

I would occasionally get contacted by an agency (this time it was Parallel Consulting) who is adamant that I disclose my past rates. I find it quite sneaky. I think the only reason they want to know this so that they can negotiate a rate down. They is either the client or an agency who is operating on a margin.
      What are your views on this?

Thanks.
      Sign an NDA with your own company and then tell the agency you have an NDA in place. Then tell them your rate for this piece of work.

Comment

Ask them how much they earn...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          And what % of that they spend on hair gel.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            And what their percentage rake is.

For my part, I quote as what am aiming for and don't let it bother me.

Comment

Hello,

I would occasionally get contacted by an agency (this time it was Parallel Consulting) who is adamant that I disclose my past rates. I find it quite sneaky. I think the only reason they want to know this so that they can negotiate a rate down. They is either the client or an agency who is operating on a margin.
              What are your views on this?

Thanks.
              Correct. If they've got a role paying say £500 and you tell them the last role paid you £400 then they know you were happy with £400 so they'll pay you £400 and pocket the rest.

Lie. Work out what market rate is and a add a bit to it. Not too much or it'll be obvious. Tell them that was last rate.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Exactly my perspective! I operate a business, agency operates a business and the client operates a business. The lady on the phone had a really bad attitude after that, kept saying its our requirement, then said it is how i operate, then changed it to the client has asked for it. To all of this I simply had said earlier on that if you think you cannot proceed without that information then that is reasonable and I'd accept that so let us not proceed. But she just wouldn't put the phone down saying I do not understand why...
                Good riddance, I say!
                Why get into an argument just lie......

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Why get into an argument just lie......
                  And so the race to the bottom continues. I know lying has the potential to make dealing with agents easier but is it really not possible to find a way to act ethically and honestly in these situations? (without rolling over)

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
                    And so the race to the bottom continues. I know lying has the potential to make dealing with agents easier but is it really not possible to find a way to act ethically and honestly in these situations? (without rolling over)
                    So I see you've met PC. Plenty more of that to come.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

man/nluk - dont talk bollacks....

We all know that being honest and truthful to "some" agents is just going to mean they take the piss. Not all - some agents I know and trust.

If you want that warm fuzzy feeling that you've told nothing but the truth to the agent, then fair enough but hes laughing his nuts off drinking his pint in the pub with the £50 a day hes shafted you for.

Comment

Working...
                      X