• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance and travel abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance and travel abroad

I've been told I won't be eligible for SC Clearance because I've been abroad for 4-5 months consecutively (I did some recent traveling). Anyone know if this is actually the case as it doesn't sound right?

I have had SC for a few roles in the past (but this is long before my recent travel and I haven't kept it current).

Depends where you went, backpacking around Europe you should be ok, a two centre trip to Iran and North Korea probably not.

If only there was a thread with all these questions and more in respect to SC
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Who told you? An agent or the clients security team?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes that is true, you need to have been in the UK for the last 5 years. I had SC clearance denied a few years ago when I had been out of the country for 2 out of the previous 5 years. Some of that was living in Oz/NZ but also included 2 months back packing in India.

I have just got SC clearance again and the first question at interview was "have you been in the UK for the last 5 years".

Comment

You need to have been in the UK for five years, or a UK-protectorate (such as Gibraltar) or a UK base establishment (such as an embassy or military base) or under the direct supervision of a suitable allied nation's security team (e.g. on secondment to the Canadian army) or a few other things (such as an overseas posting with HM Forces). As soon as you are outside the range of a UK-supported security environment, then your clearance is at risk.

So holidaying in SE Asia is probably fine, but holidaying in Iraq is a little more risky. You might also have to prove you didn't slip over any notable borders, of course.

As we keep saying, there are no hard and fast answers. Apply and see what happens is about the only viable approach.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
          X