• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two remote contracts at the same time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two remote contracts at the same time

Given two remote contracts, both billable by the day. One of the contracts does not require accounting of the exact hours worked, the other I'm not sure (I haven't begun yet) but I don't think so because it's very deliverable-focussed (there's a precise deliverable per week).

Both clients are aware that they're not a special flower and that I have other work, although I haven't give a blow-by-blow account to either of the precise allocation.

Is there any possible scope here for being in breach of contract by not fully allocating a given workday to one or other client?

Novel situation for me, so trying to close down possible loopholes.

Depends on how much you intend to take the piss. A few hours here and there if you deliver a quality product they were expecting then no. Regularly over booking them upwards of half a day/double booking because you are being greedy then yes.

Act like a professional and you'll be OK.

If you are worried then get something put in the contract so it's crystal clear but a bit of common sense trumps the contract here.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Could you not quote a fixed price or set number of days for at least one of the gigs? That way if you do finish it quicker but they are happy you'll get the money you wanted from it and more time to spend billing your other client legitimately?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Could you not quote a fixed price or set number of days for at least one of the gigs? That way if you do finish it quicker but they are happy you'll get the money you wanted from it and more time to spend billing your other client legitimately?
        The present gig does actually stipulate a set number of days depending on what needs to be delivered. I quote the number of days and the tasks to be done in order to justify extensions. However, some of the tasks are things like security updates and maintenance -- so this can be a lot of work or no work depending on the exact situation. Key to me is the fact that it is billed by the day. There is no option to stipulate that I worked 0.25/0.5/0.75 of a day.

The additional gig I'm considering is not going to have a set number of days agreed. It's full-time, but the allocation of that time is flexible and up to me, as long as I can attend the occasional catch-up meeting and the work gets delivered.

Not that easy to determine in the abstract. Am thinking to try the new gig, see how it goes, and walk if it impinges too much on the first (more lucrative) gig. The nature of the second gig is such that I would be fairly easy to replace.

Comment

I've been working on a couple of projects. Usually just dedicate a full day to each but sometimes split it into .25/.75.
          If you use Freeagent, the 'Time Tracking' feature is very useful. You can spit out the itemised time into an invoice too.

Comment

Originally posted by t0bytoo View Post
            I've been working on a couple of projects. Usually just dedicate a full day to each but sometimes split it into .25/.75.
            If you use Freeagent, the 'Time Tracking' feature is very useful. You can spit out the itemised time into an invoice too.
            I see the point.

But for both contracts, they are more interested in deliverables than time. These are agency contracts so there is some mention of time, but.

For the second gig (the one under consideration), if I don't deliver the written piece they need per week, they will not be consoled, even if I work 60 hours a week. By contrast, if the work is delivered, even if it took 1 hour (i.e. taking the piss) it's somewhat irrelevant.

Same goes for the first gig.

So I'm not convinced that determining whether I can sell enough time should be my criteria here.

Comment

Working...
            X