• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War chest Almost Depleted and Getting Desperate

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sira View Post
    For those of you who have a small warchest, or don't want to dip into the warchest and prefer to keep busy - if you hit the bench, what are you planning to do? Assuming you can't find a contract or permanent role in your field and/or industry in the new year.

I'm considering things like private tutoring for example, my friend who does it said I could earn £30-£40ph. Better than nothing...
    What would you teach ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      What would you teach ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      You can get £30-£90ph depending on education and experience. I'd probably do primary school and gcse subjects. Just trying to think of Plan B's for a doomsday scenario

I wasn't working during the 2008 recession, so no idea what people did to make ends meet.

Comment

Not a bad idea for those with the inclination...

Private tutor job profile | Prospects.ac.uk
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You can get £30-£90ph depending on education and experience. I'd probably do primary school and gcse subjects. Just trying to think of Plan B's for a doomsday scenario

I wasn't working during the 2008 recession, so no idea what people did to make ends meet.
          Having started contracting in 2000 in Telco, and with a CV to match(!), I found fallow years in 2001 in the telco sector, and, after finding my next contract in Travel in 2001, further fallow periods thereafter - unsurprisingly.

But, I stuck it out, kept the company open and went tele-marketing and lead generating for a variety of companies. All paid into the LtdCo.

Thereafter, I have managed to work continually all through all subsequent droughty periods without break. Even though my circumstance now means I no longer need to consider call-based work, if required, I would go back to that.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
            Having started contracting in 2000 in Telco, and with a CV to match(!), I found fallow years in 2001 in the telco sector, and, after finding my next contract in Travel in 2001, further fallow periods thereafter - unsurprisingly.

But, I stuck it out, kept the company open and went tele-marketing and lead generating for a variety of companies. All paid into the LtdCo.

Thereafter, I have managed to work continually all through all subsequent droughty periods without break. Even though my circumstance now means I no longer need to consider call-based work, if required, I would go back to that.
            Is there still a high demand for tele-marketing though? Majority of people nowadays, see marketing calls as scams.

Comment

Is there still a high demand for tele-marketing though? Majority of people nowadays, see marketing calls as scams.
              Good point. No idea.

Mine were B2B calling via a Telemarketing agency into various companies at a time. I became relatively good at it because I ditched the script, having understood the salient points, and got them / tried to get them interested and engaged from the start.

Am sure cold calling is still a dirty requirement though.

Comment

Job Market

Talking with agencies they all say that the last few months have been very slow due to the Election and Brexit but now expect things to return more to normal from the NY

Hopefully they are right.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  The the most disastrously incompetent people go Inside IR35 now <cough>Psychocandy</cough>
                  Ha ha only just seen this.....

Now tell me if this was a bad idea:-

1. Leave "Borderline" Public sector gig in March 2017. No retrospective IR35 now.
                  2. Start an "Inside IR35" Public sector gig - rate hiked by 35%.
                  3. I'm now umbrella, I pay a LOT of tax but take home is same as I've had before, I've got no IR35 worries, No retrospective IR35 worries. Since its local the lack of expenses is not an issue.

Seems sensible to me. Of course, I will agree that those who stay, on same rate, and take the hit could be desperate.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    What would you teach ?
                    Procrastination. At some point.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Ha ha only just seen this.....

Now tell me if this was a bad idea:-

1. Leave "Borderline" Public sector gig in March 2017. No retrospective IR35 now.
                      2. Start an "Inside IR35" Public sector gig - rate hiked by 35%.
                      3. I'm now umbrella, I pay a LOT of tax but take home is same as I've had before, I've got no IR35 worries, No retrospective IR35 worries. Since its local the lack of expenses is not an issue.

Seems sensible to me. Of course, I will agree that those who stay, on same rate, and take the hit could be desperate.
                      Cool story bro.

How much tax do you pay for handing out new keyboards on £120 a day?

Comment

Working...
                      X