• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

War chest Almost Depleted and Getting Desperate

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    You need a reality check. Try threats by the revenue and your bank to wind up the company, try massive arrears on corporation tax and VAT, try getting kicked out of your contract property rental, try 2 days away from holiday home repossession, try 1 payment away form main home repossession, try car repossession, try giving second car back before inevitable repossession, try debt counselling. Fortunately I was in a strong relationship because that could have gone wrong as well. All down to naivety and failure to plan ahead, financially, assuming things can only get better and never worse. What you do learn though is that when you are down, everybody wants to give you a good kicking, makes it even harder to get back on track. It can take years on end to get back into financial shape. Maybe 10 or so depending on your situation. But, you do get there and I can assure you that you will come out of it far stronger. I call it character building. You've just reminded me that I need to go back to the Revenue and refer to our conversation of several years ago when their agent said I 'did not have a viable business'. Show them the c £ 1.2m turnover in the years since then and ask her if she might stand corrected.
    A very well done to you. You win.

Comment

I was in a similar situation few years ago. Spent all savings during that 11 months of bench period before finally returning to my native country with my wife and kid as I do not have family/friends in the UK. Sold the car for £1600, bought flight tickets for 3 and went back with £200. I even tried permanent positions but didn't get it.

But here I am, stronger than I was. Bought a house, paid off the mortgage and war chest is better than ever.

I empathise with you. It is hard and even more harder if you have a family and you are the only bread winner.

Things will change for you. Be persistent, devise a time-boxed plan to address skill gaps if any and hold on to your hope. In the interim consider a permanent role for survival.

I am sure you will emerge stronger. Goodluck!
      Last edited by BigDataPro; 17 April 2019, 18:39.

Comment

You need a reality check. Try threats by the revenue and your bank to wind up the company, try massive arrears on corporation tax and VAT, try getting kicked out of your contract property rental, try 2 days away from holiday home repossession, try 1 payment away form main home repossession, try car repossession, try giving second car back before inevitable repossession, try debt counselling. Fortunately I was in a strong relationship because that could have gone wrong as well. All down to naivety and failure to plan ahead, financially, assuming things can only get better and never worse. What you do learn though is that when you are down, everybody wants to give you a good kicking, makes it even harder to get back on track. It can take years on end to get back into financial shape. Maybe 10 or so depending on your situation. But, you do get there and I can assure you that you will come out of it far stronger. I call it character building. You've just reminded me that I need to go back to the Revenue and refer to our conversation of several years ago when their agent said I 'did not have a viable business'. Show them the c £ 1.2m turnover in the years since then and ask her if she might stand corrected.
        WOW! - i bet Your cat has Really big bolloks

Comment

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
          Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto
          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
          Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
          You're right there, Obadiah
          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
          Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
          In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea
          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
          A cup o' cold tea
          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
          Without milk or sugar
          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
          Or tea
          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
          In a cracked cup, an' all
          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
          Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper
          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
          The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth
          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
          But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor
          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
          Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son"
          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
          Aye, 'e was right
          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
          Aye, 'e was
          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
          I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof
          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
          House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling
          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
          Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
          Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh
          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
          Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us
          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
          We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake
          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
          You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road
          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
          Cardboard box?
          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
          Aye
          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
          You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt
          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
          Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
          Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife
          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
          Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            FIRST YORKSHIREMAN

First thing I thought too.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Well, this kind of response is bugger all use to the OP, who is clearly very stressed. I wish I had useful advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Well, this kind of response is bugger all use to the OP, who is clearly very stressed. I wish I had useful advice.
                Other than some comforting anecdotes, which may help the OP with stress, I'm not sure there's a ton of useful advice to offer. The best the OP can do is to apprise themselves of their responsibilities (which they are doing) and to do their very best to find work (which they are doing).

What would PC do?

Comment

Other than some comforting anecdotes, which may help the OP with stress, I'm not sure there's a ton of useful advice to offer. The best the OP can do is to apprise themselves of their responsibilities (which they are doing) and to do their very best to find work (which they are doing).

What would PC do?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Trace View Post
                    After having a second long stint on the bench in 2 years I have about 2 months left in the warchest and am incredibly stressed about what the next 4 weeks hold. I'm trawling job sites daily, and have recently been applying for permanent jobs, as well as non- project management/ Analyst jobs which still pay a daily rate. The next step after this is perhaps dipping into my credit card/ extending my overdraft for a month. Desperate times....I also had to factor in that I will still be paying myself a monthly net salary and due to pay my director's loan of £2k back next month, which I believe incurs a 32.5% charge if paid back late.

I am finding it increasingly more difficult each day to stay positive and concentrate on searching for gigs, as well as relaxing and thinking of anything else BUT getting work. I'm also not sure what the implications are for my limited company if I were to take a permanent job, or even a temporary hourly PAYE one.... admin if that's what it comes to. Would I need to close the company? Stop paying a net salary or pay more tax? Has anyone else been in a similar position and how did you get through it/ handled it?
                    Pinged a PM as I know a company who was looking for a BA recently, and may be looking for a PM too.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I AM a Yorkshireman!

Comment

Working...
                      X