• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Capita

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capita

I notice a lot of hate on here for Capita, although much of it seems connected with the way they treat their own employees and their fund scheme.

Anything to particularly be wary of if considering a contract via ltd with them?

Originally posted by zerosum View Post
    I notice a lot of hate on here for Capita, although much of it seems connected with the way they treat their own employees and their fund scheme.

Anything to particularly be wary of if considering a contract via ltd with them?
    You've misspelled it. There's an r after the C.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      You've misspelled it. There's an r after the C.
      Don't be a tease...

Comment

They're an organisation with around 70,000 employees.
        They have multiple businesses, which are all different.
        There is no answer to your question that would be accurate.

In my experience they pay on time and without argument.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I think the problem is that they are one of these contractors who routinely get granted government contracts and who deliver some bag of spanners, late, over budget and without half the functionality and yet, given their track record, get rewarded by yet more government contracts.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I've done a few bits for them on and off and worked alongside them.

They are no better or worse that any other big companies. There are good people and bad, good projects and bad, sometimes left and right hands talk to each other, sometimes they don't. I'd work for them again if the opportunity arose.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My experience is different

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              I've done a few bits for them on and off and worked alongside them.

They are no better or worse that any other big companies. There are good people and bad, good projects and bad, sometimes left and right hands talk to each other, sometimes they don't. I'd work for them again if the opportunity arose.

Your experience at Capita can vary considerably depending on what part of the business hires you. I have experienced serious delays in payment particularly over Christmas a surprise Christmas 2 week furlough followed by another last minute surprise Easter furlough. I am now in a legal dispute with them over notice periods, where I honoured the contract but they have decided they can make up their own rules. Finally a very senior manager spread lies about me in an email. I offered him the opportunity to explain in case it was a misunderstanding but he decided to threaten me instead.
              I reported the matter to the internal whistleblowing mechanism named Speakup but was told that as I am a contractor it does not apply to me, I have no rights.
              Just to be clear I have contracted since 1990 and have never had such a bad experience. The hostility and vitriol I have faced because I am a contractor would not be tolerated elsewhere. PS. I am a very senior hire.

Comment

Worked with them before for many years.

Good luck trying to get a rate rise if you take a different role with another one of their clients despite the job being vastly different.

Comment

They offered me a contract a year ago, but refused to change the text to include any of the recommendations from QDos to make it more IR35 friendly, so I walked away

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    They offered me a contract a year ago, but refused to change the text to include any of the recommendations from QDos to make it more IR35 friendly, so I walked away
                    Their contracts are notoriously iffy from an IR35 perspective - you did the right thing.

Comment

Working...
                    X