Dutch guy to London Dutch guy to London
Posts 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    4

    Default Dutch guy to London

    Hi Guys,

    This might be exactly the other way around as you normally do:

    Being a Dutchman, I've survived the interviews for a London based assignment and I'm sorting out the contracts now. The recruiter insists that I get a National Insurance Number though. I have never requested such a thing before.

    To my understanding, as both the UK and myself are in the EU, I can work in the UK (until Brexit really happens I suppose) and an A1/Certificate of Coverage form should state where the National Insurance (pension / healthcare etc) is payed. Therefore a NI Number is not needed.

    Am I wrong? If I am wrong, are there significant downsides to a NI number besides the payments (which seems to be not unreasonable).

    Thanks!

    Ardbeg

  2. #2

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,139

    Default

    Give him your NL NI number.
    "Boom! Boom!" - B. Brush

  3. #3

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Give him your NL NI number.
    Thanks, NotAllThere.

    I tried, they refused. They want an UK NI Number.

  4. #4

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    13,310

    Default

    Although it is theoretically possible to work with your Dutch NI, it will be very problematic as this represents the exception rather than the rule. I think it is highly likely that it won't be possible.

    You need either to run this through a payroll company or get an accountant to setup a company.

    Basically if you do want to work in the UK you need to be paying UK tax and you need a NI number.
    I'm alright Jack

  5. #5

    Super poster

    Eirikur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bremain land
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    You will pay taxes in the UK and therefor you need a UK NI number
    It's easy to request

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks for the replies!

    Maybe an extra benefit of getting a NI number is that it is possibly easier to remain (pun intended :-) working in the UK after Brexit.

    I have been told that it is required to be present in an office to have an interview in order to get a NI Number. Is that correct? I see companies who provide online services for this too.

  7. #7

    Super poster

    Eirikur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bremain land
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ardbeg10y View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

    Maybe an extra benefit of getting a NI number is that it is possibly easier to remain (pun intended :-) working in the UK after Brexit.

    I have been told that it is required to be present in an office to have an interview in order to get a NI Number. Is that correct? I see companies who provide online services for this too.
    Yes you make an appointment with a jobcentre plus. They will ask you to show proof you have been offered a position in the UK or are actively searching. All I had to do was show them a printed email, with the confirmation I was offered a job (this was 14 years ago though). If you want to apply for pre-settled status it certainly helps to have an NI number.
    Some companies are already asking for proof that you have either settled or pre-settled status, my current client which has many EU workers are already doing it.

  8. #8

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    Yes you make an appointment with a jobcentre plus. They will ask you to show proof you have been offered a position in the UK or are actively searching. All I had to do was show them a printed email, with the confirmation I was offered a job (this was 14 years ago though). If you want to apply for pre-settled status it certainly helps to have an NI number.
    Some companies are already asking for proof that you have either settled or pre-settled status, my current client which has many EU workers are already doing it.
    Eirikur, thanks for your reply. Besides the job offering, did you have an UK address? I just gave the jobcentre a call (which is quite a challenge) and apparently I need to be in the UK to request an appointment. It is beyond me why I need to be in the UK to get an appointment.

  9. #9

    Super poster

    Eirikur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bremain land
    Posts
    3,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ardbeg10y View Post
    Eirikur, thanks for your reply. Besides the job offering, did you have an UK address? I just gave the jobcentre a call (which is quite a challenge) and apparently I need to be in the UK to request an appointment. It is beyond me why I need to be in the UK to get an appointment.
    Yes I did have a UK address at the time. Another difference is that I started working in a permanent job at the time and I could just start working without NI number and they applied an emergency tax rate until I had one.
    Can you use one of the agencies, that advertise they can request NI numbers? They must have dealt with similar situations before. Not sure how much it will cost you (if you do it on your own it is for free)

    Stuur me een PM als je nog wat tips kan gebruiken of vragen hebt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •