• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting London versus Manchester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
    Unless you're looking for contracts in mining or whippet racing, London is definitely the better bet.
    Not helpful.
    And bulltulip.
    Get back to general with your bigoted crap.

Plenty of finance in Leeds and Manchester. Creative stuff in Manchester.
    Even some finance in Bradford.
    Manufacturing is big in the midlands.

There’s more to contracting than the City of London.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Not helpful.
      And bulltulip.
      Get back to general with your bigoted crap.

Plenty of finance in Leeds and Manchester. Creative stuff in Manchester.
      Even some finance in Bradford.
      Manufacturing is big in the midlands.
      yeh, but the surroundings and indigenes suck big time

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
        Is London, a better place to be a contractor (ie. more work), or is it about

the same as say Manchester, has anyone out there tried it,
        A few (OK, several) years ago I was given a piece of advice - if you want to be serious about contracting, consider living within easy commute of an airport, good train links and good road links.
        My first purchase in the South of England was near the West Herts/Bucks border. An hour to Heathrow by car, 45 mins by train to central London, about half an hour to the M40 or M1.
        The furthest North in England that I drove for contracts was Leeds, West into Wales, South to Southampton, East to Norfolk. Trains into London clients. After that it was flights to Scotland, Ireland, various European countries, US and the Far East.

If you’re just looking to get a job near where you live, then consider your skill set and if there is an area where there is a concentration of companies that could use that skill set. If you manage to get interviews, choose the one that offers you the best salary.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
          Is London, a better place to be a contractor (ie. more work), or is it about

the same as say Manchester, has anyone out there tried it,
          i live and work across London, Bham, Manc and Liverpool. I did 15 years solid in the City and Docklands.

is manchester a better place to live and work? yes

does manchester have enough contract roles to make it viable? no but the situation has been changing since 2011 as companies started to re-locate away from London.

Rates in London generally less for same role in Manchester because people have roots in London and tbh sheer laziness and/or ignorance about what it’s like beyond the m25 ring.

Birmingham and Manchester eclipsed London for quality of life somewhere around 2013-2014 period. They now have roughly equal parity with London in most respects. Sadly this now includes drinks prices.
          Last edited by Bluenose; 15 April 2019, 22:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
            Rates in London generally less for same role in Manchester because people have........
            Did I understand this right??

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              Did I understand this right??
              Yeah. Sorry, gonna waffle now.

See Senior Consultants with 25 years being offered £350pd to work at -Insert Broken Investment Bank Here- versus being offered £850pd+ for 24 months to work outside of London in Manc and Brum.

I know people who took these London roles and turned down work on programmes i was on because they simply would not leave London.

There are lots of people that I have met whom have no experience of either living or working outside of London and hence, have a limited viewpoint for context.

When you travel the main cities you can see the changes , feel excited for the future and grab opportunities others in London will laugh at because they are stuck in a 2006 time-warp. The game has changed and they won’t.

Perfect example, the new Ivy restaurant in Manchester. I love the new Ivy opposite Heron Tower in London, i frequent it a lot but it’s opposite a scumbag sports bar in a building that looks ready for demolition.

The manchester one, it’s a purpose built freestanding building with three floors including roof terrace and a Asian fusion restaurant on the middle floor, men in green coats open the doors for you as you arrive, it leaves the London one in its wake as an experience.

There are many, many more examples. Tattu Birmingham looks like someone has spent millions on it and it’s ‘only’ a chinese restaurant in a basement.

anyway, enough gushing praise from me, do yourselves a favour and get out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                Yeah. Sorry, gonna waffle now.

See Senior Consultants with 25 years being offered £350pd to work at -Insert Broken Investment Bank Here- versus being offered £850pd+ for 24 months to work outside of London in Manc and Brum.
                Fair play. Had no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  A few (OK, several) years ago I was given a piece of advice - if you want to be serious about contracting, consider living within easy commute of an airport, good train links and good road links.
                  So you left the UK then?

Comment

if you are thinking on contracting in Birmingham (or the West Midlands in general) make sure you have excellent security for your car.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                      if you are thinking on contracting in Birmingham (or the West Midlands in general) make sure you have excellent security for your car.

qh
                      Or a crappy car.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X