• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another agency offering more than 50% more money for the same role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another agency offering more than 50% more money for the same role

Hi guys,

Tomorrow I am interviewing for a remote role. Agency X first contacted me
    and offered me 22pounds per hour, but this afternoon another agency (Y) contacted me
    offering me 35pounds/hour for the same role and client.

I confirmed by email to be represented by Agency X.

Am I obligated to honor agency X knowing that they are offering me 55% less money? That is a hefty difference.

Can I tell Agency X to FOff, and apply for the new Agency? Does confirmation to be represented email bound me to Agency X legally?

What can I do?

If I pass the interview do you think is a good idea to renegotiate with Agency X? telling them other agency offered me 55% more money?

Originally posted by bul View Post
    Hi guys,

Tomorrow I am interviewing for a remote role. Agency X first contacted me
    and offered me 22pounds per hour, but this afternoon another agency (Y) contacted me
    offering me 35pounds/hour for the same role and client.

I confirmed by email to be represented by Agency X.

Am I obligated to honor agency X knowing that they are offering me 55% less money? That is a hefty difference.

Can I tell Agency X to FOff, and apply for the new Agency? Does confirmation to be represented email bound me to Agency X legally?

What can I do?

If I pass the interview do you think is a good idea to renegotiate with Agency X? telling them other agency offered me 55% more money?
    Obligated? No.

You granted Agency X representation rights for that role. You were happy with the rate. Agency X put you forward.
    Client see your CV put forward by another agency? Eh... most clients will bin both. Even if you get interview through new agency and get the gig, Agency X could ( if they find out ) go to client with the representation rights you gave them; most clients don't want to get involved in inter-agency sh1t caused by contractors so could cancel the gig.

What can you do? Numerous things. Some have consequences.

Agency X would in most cases respond to your final statement with "And we give a sh1t because?".

Comment

Two things to consider here. The first agency could indeed be taking the mickey with the cut but the second could also be overstating and will offer you considerably less when you get the offer. You'd imagine the rate is somewhere in between those two.

Dropping agents after confirming is not a very good idea. It's likely they will complain to the client and so you won't get represented by the second agent and be left with nothing.

Negotiation is essential here and really should be done every gig unless you know the agent is on a fixed percentage commission. Get the gig and then play hardball with the agent. I suspect you won't get near the 35 quid. Seems far too big a gap so somethings up, but get a figure in your head and aim for that. To be fair you applied for the gig at £22 so where happy with that. If you manage to push him any 25 and above then you should be happy as a pig in't muck.

Don't let random unqualified numbers from agents ruin potentially good gigs.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did you tell the second agency you were already in with the first? If you did my money is on the agency trying to start a fight between you and the first agency which will ultimately see you binned and their practice looking like the innocent party with one of their candidates filling the role.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Is there scope at the interview to ask the client if the vacancy is being represented by multiple agencies and if so do they the client care about how the agencies are advertising the same vacancy with a big discrepancy in rate? i.e. one agency is taking the piss on the margin.

I know some clients care about this, after all they want the best talent they can get for the money they are paying out, not the cheapest talent and the agent taking a massive cut.

I'd also be wary of how the second agency may be fishing or some other tactic that involves not actually having a legit agreement with the client to put you forward. Depends how the second agent got your contact details. I presume you applied for two contracts via the different agencies not realising they are the same vacancy.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

The first agency might be putting you forward at £40 an hour.
            The second at £60 an hour.
            Depending on the other candidates, the client may well take the £40 an hour person meaning you could lose out to another candidate from agency A.

IMO - you've agreed a rate you're happy with, and you have an interview lined up. I'd carry on as any alternative will likely lose you the oportunity.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Always stick with AgentX, or risk not getting considered at all as said above.

If you get offered the job, negotiate the rate from there. You could always say you have another offer at £33 an hour (coincidentally)

Comment

Working...
              X