Use company or personal email for inter-team communication Use company or personal email for inter-team communication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 12

Still gathering requirements...

Default Use company or personal email for inter-team communication

Starting a gig with a few other collaborators, most (perhaps all?) of whom have their own limiteds.

For inter-team communication, notices, documentation, email, etc, I could use an ad hoc email address, or my own ltd company email address. I suppose the ad hoc email is a bit more private/isolated, the ltd company not so much.

Any IR35 concerns if I supply an ad hoc (hotmail/gmail) created for the purpose?

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

I’d not be worried about IR35, but I would be worried about your contract and the end client’s policy on the use of external mails.
    If you are doing a contract for a client, your communications with other members of the team should be done using the internal mail system of the client, if they have provided you with one - that will most likely be part of their corporate policy.
    If you’re wanting to share videos of cats, then use personal emails.

Why are you wanting to use a private email for the comms?
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    I’d not be worried about IR35, but I would be worried about your contract and the end client’s policy on the use of external mails.
    If you are doing a contract for a client, your communications with other members of the team should be done using the internal mail system of the client, if they have provided you with one - that will most likely be part of their corporate policy.
    If you’re wanting to share videos of cats, then use personal emails.

Why are you wanting to use a private email for the comms?
    End-client doesn't care and is not handing out internal mail addresses (dubious perhaps, but I don't plan a crusade to change their mind).

The work being done is one highly specific task, it's not coding or maintenance of a system. So all communication will be limited to discussion of that task or the sharing of best practises.

And to be clear, it's less a private email than an isolated email, created specifically for the purpose -- it just happens that's easier via gmail/hotmail etc.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

So why not use your company email address? That way potential future clients- the people you are working with - have a valid address to pass on to others.
    Using a burner address smacks of someone not wanting to be traceable.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    So why not use your company email address? That way potential future clients- the people you are working with - have a valid address to pass on to others.
    Using a burner address smacks of someone not wanting to be traceable.
    I just don't like how searchable company house accounts are, though I've made them as private as possible. It's just a privacy thing, nothing particular to hide. I know they are searchable via name but that's more difficult.

Take your point about burner addresses though. Hence the question -- no perfect solution here it seems to me.

More time posting than coding

Use HipChat or slack for general comms with team members - keeps a history and faster

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

More fingers than teeth

I would actually enquire about the company e-mail, because in companies I've worked in the past you can get into serious trouble using a non company e-mail. Especially if you transfer code. I would get written confirmation that you can use a private e-mail account.
    I'm alright Jack

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I would actually enquire about the company e-mail, because in companies I've worked in the past you can get into serious trouble using a non company e-mail. Especially if you transfer code. I would get written confirmation that you can use a private e-mail account.
    Agreed. I got permission.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Use HipChat or slack for general comms with team members - keeps a history and faster
    Can't choose the tech for comms. It's MS stuff.

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by zerosum View Post
    I just don't like how searchable company house accounts are, though I've made them as private as possible. It's just a privacy thing, nothing particular to hide. I know they are searchable via name but that's more difficult.

Take your point about burner addresses though. Hence the question -- no perfect solution here it seems to me.
    You want to keep your LtdCo name quiet?

Were you not taken on for this job via your LtdCo and therefore it is already known to the client?