• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice - going back perm after years of contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask your accountant. What to do is highly dependant on details we don't have. Speak to them and they'll assess the amounts, your company structure and so on and advise the best way.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'll be following your decision closely! I only starting contracting in Aug 18 and landed a contract with one of my target companies from when I was a permie. It's within commuting distance, teams are good, quite relaxed and the work is very interesting and they actually have budgets for projects and training unlike my last permie role where everything was scrimped despite being a defence org.

My fear is that I landed a 'good' contract and org on my first contract and my next contract later this year could be anywhere which I'd need to strongly consider to continue building the warchest up to 9 months.

So far I've loved being thrown into a company, required to hit the ground running and deliver quickly but the fear of when and where I end up next is a worry that is always at the back of my mind. I look on LinkedIn, job sites etc. multiple times a day as I'm paranoid about a contract being pulled. I've always been relaxed about nealy all situations but the fear of losing a contract is always niggling.... and starts my mind thinking about the permie role that's available within my team........I'm not sure I'm made for the uncertainty of contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by Klodge View Post
        So far I've loved being thrown into a company, required to hit the ground running and deliver quickly but the fear of when and where I end up next is a worry that is always at the back of my mind. I look on LinkedIn, job sites etc. multiple times a day as I'm paranoid about a contract being pulled. I've always been relaxed about nealy all situations but the fear of losing a contract is always niggling.... and starts my mind thinking about the permie role that's available within my team........I'm not sure I'm made for the uncertainty of contracting.
        Contracting is not for the faint hearted, maybe it just isn't for you - and that's not meant to be rude, or negative.

It's been the best decision I ever maybe work-wise, but equally, you'll find posts on here by people who have been on the bench for months.

Just don't spend recklessly until you have got a good warchest, and ideally don't start contracting if you are about to buy your first house, or have kids.

Comment

Originally posted by AlonsoHarris View Post
          Hi all,

I've browsed these pages for a while and this is my first contribution... Hoping anybody can advise or at the very least give me their point of view.

I've been contracting for 8 years now and have been lucky enough to work at a variety of interesting places, and been consistent with it.

I'm currently contracting for a large online business and they have made it pretty clear that they want me to go permy. Having been in this position before I'd normally say no outright but I like it here for a number of reasons; great location, decent culture, potential opportunity. They'll never come anywhere close to what I earn now but if i were to consider perm it would be for the reasons I've just mentioned.

I wondered if anybody has gone back to perm from years of contracting and why?

Inversely if you're a contractor and have been in this situation, why have you stayed contracting?

Alonso
          i know you know this already, but it really will be horses for courses. Many of us will have experiences similar but ultimately you'll know what's best for you.

Personally I've been in a similar situation a few times and every time I've turned them down. For me the companies were never quite right, or the role was just not quite right. One client, I did a nice 12 month contract and they asked me to go perm. I said no, left to do another 18 months somewhere else. Ended up going back to original client (direct now ) and in that 18 months nothing had really changed there - i just couldn't imagine sitting there for that 18 months going stale when I'd actually gone and deliver 2 other major pieces of work in that time.

I have however taken FTC roles; sometimes considered worst of all positions but actually both worked out really well. Both paying almost same as my day rate but with all the perks of a permie. Good blue chip companies too so looks good on the CV (and only I know they were FTC and not day rate contracts).

I'll never say never to perm because one day the right role in the right company may turn up, but personally I like to move about so contracting suits my itchy feet. Also gives me the chance to take a decent break between jobs (like now - 2 weeks into what I hope will be a few months on the bench) - not many perm roles let you sit on your @rse all day buggering about on CUK
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I have however taken FTC roles; sometimes considered worst of all positions but actually both worked out really well. Both paying almost same as my day rate but with all the perks of a permie. Good blue chip companies too so looks good on the CV (and only I know they were FTC and not day rate contracts).

How do you hide the fact they were FTC on your CV?
            On mine I've wanted to make contracting under my own company and periods of employment distinct for obvious reasons.

I won't consider FTC until contracting is completely dead. One of the reasons is because there are only 2 companies in my field in my area. If I took an FTC, say 6 months, and contracting was still alive, then many HR departments have policies like not being able to go back as a day rate contractor until 12/24 months after leaving as an employee. So I'd be locking myself out of good day rate contract opportunites at that company/location for a long time, for the sake of being on only about 33% of the take home pay because of miles lower salary.
            Last edited by PTP; 19 April 2019, 14:16.

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
              How do you hide the fact they were FTC on your CV?
              On mine I've wanted to make contracting under my own company and periods of employment distinct for obvious reasons.
              How can the tell it's an FTC? You put the company name, role and period you were there. If you did a 6 month proper perm gig and then a contract after there would absolutely nothing to suggest how you were engaged.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                How can the tell it's an FTC? You put the company name, role and period you were there. If you did a 6 month proper perm gig and then a contract after there would absolutely nothing to suggest how you were engaged.
                I want it to be clear what was employment and what wasn’t. Who were clients and who were employers.. It’s called an IR35 friendly CV.?
                So I put my co name and then bullet points of clients underneath.

Just listing every contract/ftc/perm the same would lead to companies thinking they could ask your client’s for references.

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
                  It’s called an IR35 friendly CV.[emoji6]
                  No such thing.
                  If that’s your defence then buy some insurance.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    No such thing.
                    If that’s your defence then buy some insurance.
                    IR35 Friendly CV

One item defence? What you talking about?
                    You should know that an assessment looks at the full picture and the CV is just one element
                    Last edited by PTP; 20 April 2019, 19:13.

Comment

How much fun/great location / working environment will it be when you get your 1st pay slip?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X