• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice - going back perm after years of contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice - going back perm after years of contracting

Hi all,

I've browsed these pages for a while and this is my first contribution... Hoping anybody can advise or at the very least give me their point of view.

I've been contracting for 8 years now and have been lucky enough to work at a variety of interesting places, and been consistent with it.

I'm currently contracting for a large online business and they have made it pretty clear that they want me to go permy. Having been in this position before I'd normally say no outright but I like it here for a number of reasons; great location, decent culture, potential opportunity. They'll never come anywhere close to what I earn now but if i were to consider perm it would be for the reasons I've just mentioned.

I wondered if anybody has gone back to perm from years of contracting and why?

Inversely if you're a contractor and have been in this situation, why have you stayed contracting?

Alonso

Originally posted by AlonsoHarris View Post
    Hi all,

I've browsed these pages for a while and this is my first contribution... Hoping anybody can advise or at the very least give me their point of view.

I've been contracting for 8 years now and have been lucky enough to work at a variety of interesting places, and been consistent with it.

I'm currently contracting for a large online business and they have made it pretty clear that they want me to go permy. Having been in this position before I'd normally say no outright but I like it here for a number of reasons; great location, decent culture, potential opportunity. They'll never come anywhere close to what I earn now but if i were to consider perm it would be for the reasons I've just mentioned.

I wondered if anybody has gone back to perm from years of contracting and why?

Inversely if you're a contractor and have been in this situation, why have you stayed contracting?

Alonso
    I waas contract 1988 to 2009. Permie to 2015. Contract to 2016. Permie to 2017. Contract to 2019. Went permanent this month.

In 2009 I had no choice. Market stuffed. 2017 I wanted to try working in Wales. A disaster.

Reason I went permie this month is similar to yours. Its a software house related to banking(I always worked in banks before and I hated being part of a cost centre). Incredibly clever people. All extremely pleasant. Fantastic money, great pension and benefits. I had the choice of staying contract. But the private sector reforms due 2020 was the tipping point. Contractors seem keen to throw everyone else under the bus. Already HSBC have said they will not fight. Unless contractors can support each other(hahaha) then contracting will be for the most part dead.

Comment

It depends on the market. If you can easily get a contract near to where you live then that is the best option. If you have to travel, and most contractors do, I don't see a long term future in it and probably you'll end up as a permie as the travelling wears you down.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Was a contractor on £400 p/d in 2016, company offered me £60k to go perm. The office was two miles from my house, the work was not particularly taxing and was a very laid back office environment, with a little bit of travel to keep things interesting.

I lasted a year permanent.

I left because the job wasn't challenging enough, and frankly I was bored. Although the salary sounded appealing, by the time the tax man and student loan payments took their cut, as well as childcare and AVC pension contributions, my take home wasn't great.

I've returned to contracting and financially there is a definite improvement (although a long time benched would counteract that).

Only you can do the sums to see if you'll be happy in that scenario, but be 100% sure the job is one you'll enjoy and keep you motivated for the next 3+ years at least before making the jump. I have messed my head up somewhat by jumping from contract to perm to contract..!

Comment

I would go permie if the circumstances (or employer) was right, the kids are at an age where it would be better if I was home every night, the money that contracting pays although nice is not really needed, but these variables can change at any time.

Do you have a permie job lined up, or are you just thinking, as the answer to your questions would depend on which camp you are in right now.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            I would go permie if the circumstances (or employer) was right, the kids are at an age where it would be better if I was home every night, the money that contracting pays although nice is not really needed, but these variables can change at any time..
            I've always been a believer that people shouldn't shy away from a permie gig if it fits all your criteria. Don't get sucked in by the 'hell of performance reviews sucking the life out' of you rhetoric. Stay open minded and consider all aspects of the situation.. but..
            I'm currently at the best gig I think I've had in my contracting career, the work, the environment, the commute. Everything ticks all the boxes and they've even asked me what I want to go permie. I just can't bring myself to consider it, I've tried but I just can't. Something tells me when I'm stuck in the arse end of nowhere in the next gig I'll regret it, but when I've been on gigs like that I've never thought about going permie. It's just part of contracting.

Not a situation I thought I'd ever be in and never realised it would be such a difficult decision.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Not a situation I thought I'd ever be in and never realised it would be such a difficult decision.
              Times like that are when there's the 'permietractor' card. Say you are thinking about it and start the negotiation on the terms. Get evidence on what changes there will be to the role, to support your current role being outside IR35. Drag out the negotiations until you either decide to accept or decline when there's no more contract extensions on offer.

The more time you spend considering it the more chance you will see the full picture. i.e. Every time there's some permie related activity going on think what it would be like if you had to be involved. If it still appeals then check the contract market state to see if it's better to stick than twist.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Absolutely. And there is always the thought that I just treat it as a low paid gig for 6 months or a year. Could work well if 2020 changes are bad as well.. And so on. I just can't bring myself to think about it. Plenty of time left on the gig yet so no.issue just yet.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I was offered it recently.
                  Sounded great. Good package. Good benefits. All the usual schtick. Was very tempted.

I went to the pub and kept drinking till it seemed like a bad idea.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks for the reply's fellow contractors...

I suppose the biggest reason I'm considering this role is location and the fact that its a pretty chilled place to work.

And given that fact I've been going at full tilt for those 8 years, sometimes it can grind you down especially due to the nature of some of my contracts; lots of pressure

The money's been great and I have benefitted massively from it but maybe I could chill here on a perm for a year or so... rest up, maybe train and then see about jumping back in at some point in the future.

The next question if I am to go perm is what to do with the LTD.... there's quite a bit in the war chest. Any pointers anybody???

Cheers in advance.

Comment

Working...
                    X