• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice - going back perm after years of contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PTP View Post
    IR35 Friendly CV

One item defence? What you talking about?
    You should know that an assessment looks at the full picture and the CV is just one element
    It’s an opinion piece, written by an individual who charges for CV writing.
    There is nothing in the IR35 legislation, or any other employment law definition that covers a CV.
    There is no, to my my knowledge, case law where a CV has been used to determine.

I am not suggesting a ‘one item defence’. Each piece of evidence is considered on it’s own merits, and a CV is just not a piece of evidence with any relation.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by PTP View Post
      IR35 Friendly CV

One item defence? What you talking about?
      You should know that an assessment looks at the full picture and the CV is just one element
      I don't wish to be rude to the guy that wrote that article but it looks like a load of rubbish to me. If that's not just a very thinly veiled attempt to jump on the IR35 scare bandwagon to self promote I don't know what is.

Do you notice in the first two paragraphs all he goes on about is accountants recommending this and that? Accountants? Really?

Filter through the rubbish at the beginning and the article it starts talking about STAR CV's and the IR35 scaremongering all but disappears and they talk about a different style of CV which could be a lot more believable and then at the end they push their services in the bold bit at the bottom.

I can't remember a single IR35 article that talks about CV's being part of your IR35 defense. IR35 is on a contract by contract basis so how can the CV make a difference? They don't look at past gigs when they start an investigation. You could be running two contracts in parallel, one in, one out. The inside one has absolutely no bearing on the outside one so how can your history?

The CV is written for a very specific audience and it's well known we, and anyone with any sense tailors them to send the right message to your audience i.e. your prospective client. It doesn't document they work style at past clients. It's a document of information that tells your new client you can do the job. Nothing more. No way can HMRC even attempt to bring that in as evidence.

Everyone of those bullets in the article falls over by the end of the first sentence. Just scaremongering to get you caught up on the STAR CV and ultimately spend your money with them. Wish I'd seen this when it was published.

Just rubbish.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just add “OPTED OUT OF IR35” to the top of your CV simples.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          IR35 is on a contract by contract basis
          That is what we are told but then HMRC lose court cases where people have proven their time is not controlled by one client, as with the recent Kay Adams case mentioned elsewhere.

Being in business of her own account – so much so that the BBC did not have ‘first call’ on her time; and being distinctive from BBC staff, helped judge Tony Beare reach his decision.
          So while 'the rules are the rules' they are arbitrarily used by both HMRC and judges to come up with a determination and it is more like a lottery than a clear and fair process that determines which side of the outcome you end up on.

If the CV as a formal document can provide evidence of multiple overlapping contracts, or other business activities alongside a contract it may help win a case, subject to whatever bod at HMRC and subsequent judge it gets put in front of. I wouldn't tailor the CV for any purpose other than gaining work but at the same time it is a recognised timeline of relevant activities that further more substantial evidence can be gathered to support.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            That is what we are told but then HMRC lose court cases where people have proven their time is not controlled by one client, as with the recent Kay Adams case mentioned elsewhere.

If time is not controlled by the client then SDC cannot be in force.
            The fact that there is another contract in place is evidence of the lack of control but not a slam dunk IMO.

Not that a CV has anything to do with it as you’d need to provide actual contracts as evidence. And without contract B having SDC to demand your time I can’t see it being anything other than a mild indicator, if even that.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              If the CV as a formal document can provide evidence of multiple overlapping contracts, or other business activities alongside a contract it may help win a case, subject to whatever bod at HMRC and subsequent judge it gets put in front of. I wouldn't tailor the CV for any purpose other than gaining work but at the same time it is a recognised timeline of relevant activities that further more substantial evidence can be gathered to support.
              Errm, what?

Given most CVs are works of fiction, how on earth would they have any legal standing? "Your contracts aren't overlapping are they Mr Sapien. Oh hang on, you've a word document you wrote. Ok, we take that back".

Your contracts would be the evidence you provide because those legal documents show the overlapping.

Comment

Originally posted by AlonsoHarris View Post
                I wondered if anybody has gone back to perm from years of contracting and why?

Inversely if you're a contractor and have been in this situation, why have you stayed contracting?

Alonso
                I did. Contracting no longer suited my life style, I needed regularity due to young children.

I do not regret leaving.
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I had a similar situation - love the place so went permie - also had a young family so I thought reliable regular income would be good....

Soon as I did everything changed and I didn't enjoy the "walls" of employment. Little things really bugged me as well like asking for holidays rather than just letting the client know when I won't be available. Having to do things like appraisals and other box ticking exercises etc. All of a sudden just working the hours wasn't enough - expectations of working from home etc. The job role promises didn't materialise either and it felt like I was just contracting on the cheap for them.

In the end I think it was more a mindset thing than anything - very much a me problem - but I just couldn't adjust and went back contracting. Simpler life I find.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
                  Last edited by dx4100; 24 April 2019, 12:39.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                    Errm, what?

Given most CVs are works of fiction, how on earth would they have any legal standing? "Your contracts aren't overlapping are they Mr Sapien. Oh hang on, you've a word document you wrote. Ok, we take that back".

Your contracts would be the evidence you provide because those legal documents show the overlapping.
                    If you're going to lie on it then yes no point using it.

it is a recognised timeline of relevant activities that further more substantial evidence can be gathered to support.
                    The use would be as a recognised timeline of relevant activities that more substantial evidence (e.g. the actual signed contracts) can be gathered to support.

In contracts where there may have been many extensions it's an easy starting point to use the CV timeline as a basis rather than checking the dates on all the paperwork whenever the bigger picture is required. Maybe a summary of the start and end dates could be created, if you like duplicating work.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                      I did. Contracting no longer suited my life style, I needed regularity due to young children.

I do not regret leaving.
                      Can I ask for how long you have left?

And the answer to that will determine whether the next question is at all interesting...

Why do you still peruse the Contractor boards if there is no regret leaving?

Comment

Working...
                      X