• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice - going back perm after years of contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PTP View Post
    IR35 Friendly CV

One item defence? What you talking about?
    You should know that an assessment looks at the full picture and the CV is just one element
    Having just read this piece, and combined with when speaking to agents about gigs and always asking for feedback on CV trends and my specific content, the sequential and standard approach to CVs has tended to be what they require.... For better or worse.

Not that for a moment I would think their (the article author's) CV style would sway anyone in an IR35 debate. Even if you include two or three other current contracts on the CV to demonstrate not being dependent on the one source of income, this would still have to be proved with contracts and a Q&A with your clients. And so to my mind, should just be left off the CV in case they think you don't have any time left for them...

Anyway, going back to Perm. Not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Can I ask for how long you have left?
      Almost 5 years.

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Why do you still peruse the Contractor boards if there is no regret leaving?
      Sometimes people ask about whether anyone has left contracting for the permie world and I get to look important for a bit.

More seriously, there is occasionally interesting discussions about topics which I am interested in so I pop in every so often and have a look around.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        Almost 5 years
        Flipping heck MUN - that’s gone quick!
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Flipping heck MUN - that’s gone quick!
          Yeah, it is scary.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
            Soon as I did everything changed and I didn't enjoy the "walls" of employment. Little things really bugged me as well like asking for holidays rather than just letting the client know when I won't be available. Having to do things like appraisals and other box ticking exercises etc.
            I am in similar situation and am scared I would be in similar mindset of walls - being offered a perm role which is in next gen tech, and got a contract offer in not-so-exciting, yesterday's tech.

Should I consider going perm and work on cloud, etc. - assuming anyway contracting might change sooner or later (2020) OR

stick to a 6 mnth contract, which would keep me in embedded tech?

I would be grateful for any suggestion/word of advice please!

Thanks!

Comment

No one can answer that for you. We've no idea what's going to happen in 2020.

The only thing I'd say is that if you are fretting that much about the changes then go perm.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've had 3 gigs since I started contracting mid 2017 (currently on gig 3). Current gig and the one before both approached me and asked me to go perm! The questions you have to ask yourself are:

1) Why did you go contracting in the first place? (for many, the answer will be "Money, duh!")
                2) Can you handle Helen from HR and her bi-yearly performance reviews?
                3) Do you see yourself growing within the business / is promotion within 12-18 months likely?
                4) Bonuses? Pensions? Worth it?
                5) Would your new boss be someone you'd enjoy working for?

I asked myself those 5 questions and came up with:

1) Financial and workplace freedom; I wanted to earn more and chose how and when I worked. I couldn't do that as a perm.
                2) Absolutely not.
                3) Yes, in the previous gig.
                4) Both were on offer but neither made up the financial shortfall.
                5) Not particularly

It's amazing when you're being paid a decent amount and are financially comfortable AND you have the freedom to walk away whenever you like, how much more tolerable minor irritations are. The moment that financial freedom goes away and you're suckered into the payroll system, personally, I would find a lot of those minor inconveniences would then turn into problems.

I am prepared to work through the 2020 reforms and if needs must, with new reforms come new opportunities, you just have to keep your positive pants on.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post

It's amazing when you're being paid a decent amount and are financially comfortable AND you have the freedom to walk away whenever you like, how much more tolerable minor irritations are. The moment that financial freedom goes away and you're suckered into the payroll system, personally, I would find a lot of those minor inconveniences would then turn into problems.
                  This might be the most succinct description of why I started contracting (and continue to contract).

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    This might be the most succinct description of why I started contracting (and continue to contract).
                    Yep, that paragraph nails it for me too.

All I ever wanted out of my working life was:
                    • As much pay as possible
                    • Minimal politics
                    • Minimal responsibility/obligations
                    • Freedom and ability to leave

Contracting has 100% delivered on that lifestyle.

Comment

Thanks for all reply's everybody. I decided to continue contracting.

Comment

Working...
                      X