• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to EU

Hi All,

I am planning to move to EU but haven't decided to which country yet.
    Which country do you guys suggest is contractor friendly? based on no of advertised IT jobs (Germany, Switzerland & Belgium) looks better but one of recruitment agency guy told me that in Belgium in hand after taxes etc will be only 51-52% and in Germany it will be anything around 71%.

I am currently working as an IT contractor through my limited company and might get work from option for 1 year contract. In this scenario can my UK limited company give contract to umbrella company in EU (as i want to pay taxes in EU to show that I have income and lawful tax payer) and umbrella company pays me the money? Has anyone done / heard set up like this before.

What European languages do you speak? Switzerland isn't in the EU, btw.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You sound pretty clueless and do some research first, many threads on this forum about working in the EU and especially taxes
      What citizenship do you hold, if it is UK your stay in the EU may be very limited after brexit
      Switzerland is not EU
      Germany is not 71%
      Don't assume just because you speak English you will easily find a contract, if you don't speak any other language fluently your chances of finding a contract will reduce dramatically

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        You sound pretty clueless and do some research first, many threads on this forum about working in the EU and especially taxes
        What citizenship do you hold, if it is UK your stay in the EU may be very limited after brexit
        Switzerland is not EU
        Germany is not 71%
        Don't assume just because you speak English you will easily find a contract, if you don't speak any other language fluently your chances of finding a contract will reduce dramatically
        Yeah I am actually clueless as just started looking into this. I am reading through threads and trying to make sense out those.
        I have British citizenship.
        I was told by the agency guy that Germany in hand will be 71%, so could be completely wrong.
        Yeah that's what I was told as well that only startups and smaller/mid levels companies could potentially offer a contract to non german speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          What European languages do you speak? Switzerland isn't in the EU, btw.
          Thanks for your reply, Only English mate. I know but I was just referring to the number of iT jobs are higher in these countries compared to others.

Comment

start looking for tax calculators here's a German one for example: gross net tax calculator germany german wage tax calculator 2019 a salary of €120k will roughly give you €78k nett. so no way 71%
            To avoid problem assume you will always be within the local version of IR35 and have to pay taxes like a local employee, in some cases you may have a special expat tax rate which will leave you better off

Comment

start looking for tax calculators here's a German one for example: gross net tax calculator germany german wage tax calculator 2019 a salary of €120k will roughly give you €78k nett. so no way 71%
              To avoid problem assume you will always be within the local version of IR35 and have to pay taxes like a local employee, in some cases you may have a special expat tax rate which will leave you better off
              Thanks a lot mate will have a look. Is it better to go through umbrella company?

Comment

Originally posted by blackeyed View Post
                Thanks a lot mate will have a look. Is it better to go through umbrella company?
                Assuming you don't know the local tax systems, laws, language and pitfalls it is in many cases the only way to start contracting quickly in another country and to avoid later problems with especially the tax man
                (a local version of a umbrella company that is, agencies often can recommend you some or work together with one or more)

Comment

The good news is that Switzerland and the UK have an agreement already in place for what will happen post a hard-brexit. Currently, about 3000 brits come to Switzerland to live and work each year. The Swiss will make available 3000 work permits, specifically for UK citizens, every year.

It is possible to work in Switzerland only speaking English, but it will be seriously beneficial to have at least B1 German. (Most IT work is in German speaking Switzerland). Switzerland is very expensive to live in, and that's only partly ameliorated by low taxes and relatively high income.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Germany is not 71%
                    Yes it is.

Income of EUR 100,000 the tax is around EUR 25,000 but there are other deductions, so 71% is about right.

You wouldn't be paying into their equivalent of National Insurance.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X