Agency won't reimburse expenses Agency won't reimburse expenses
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    82

    Default Agency won't reimburse expenses

    I am contracted via an agency, and in my contract it states that all the expenses are reimbursed by the agency to the contractor.
    I am about to go on a trip and asked on the process of reimbursement, and the account manager at the agency said "but we agreed that all travel costs incurred by you are your responsibility". Then he went as far as putting the recruiter who found me, on the spot during the call and asked him what we had agreed...

    Now I honestly can't remember what was agreed months back, but in my contract states that the travel expenses are paid by the agency. The agency said "this hasn't been written correctly, that's not the case" asking me aggressively "who signed this? we singed this?" and that they will send me a new contract as soon as possible.

    Simple unprofessionalism? Is it worth chasing it further? I could always skip the trip, but I thought I'd be professional to the client this one time since it's already been agreed, and going forward refuse to go to trips since the expenses are not paid.

  2. #2

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In a permanent state of hatred for orange goblins.
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skag View Post
    I am contracted via an agency, and in my contract it states that all the expenses are reimbursed by the agency to the contractor.
    I am about to go on a trip and asked on the process of reimbursement, and the account manager at the agency said "but we agreed that all travel costs incurred by you are your responsibility". Then he went as far as putting the recruiter who found me, on the spot during the call and asked him what we had agreed...

    Now I honestly can't remember what was agreed months back, but in my contract states that the travel expenses are paid by the agency. The agency said "this hasn't been written correctly, that's not the case" asking me aggressively "who signed this? we singed this?" and that they will send me a new contract as soon as possible.

    Simple unprofessionalism? Is it worth chasing it further? I could always skip the trip, but I thought I'd be professional to the client this one time since it's already been agreed, and going forward refuse to go to trips since the expenses are not paid.


    Simple answer is explain the situation with the client. They are the ones who can put pressure on agency assuming you've a good relationship with client.

    Agencies can't unilaterally substitute a contract. They could try to rip up the contract, slate you as greedy to client, try to get a replacement for you, sure. Most clients I've encountered dislike agencies almost as much as we do.

    If it gets nasty, make sure you've gotten your side into the client ASAP to get them on board.

  3. #3

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perplexed View Post
    Simple answer is explain the situation with the client. They are the ones who can put pressure on agency assuming you've a good relationship with client.

    Agencies can't unilaterally substitute a contract. They could try to rip up the contract, slate you as greedy to client, try to get a replacement for you, sure. Most clients I've encountered dislike agencies almost as much as we do.

    If it gets nasty, make sure you've gotten your side into the client ASAP to get them on board.
    This was exactly my thought. I'd take it on the chin for this one time and also prepare the client for the future.

  4. #4

    King of updation

    TestMangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ardbeg, Isle Of Bute, Jock Land.
    Posts
    6,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skag View Post
    This was exactly my thought. I'd take it on the chin for this one time and also prepare the client for the future.
    That is 100% NOT the thing to do.
    On Desolation Boulevard, they'd light the faded lights.....

  5. #5

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,888

    Default

    Why aren't the end client paying for the trip?

  6. #6

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestMangler View Post
    That is 100% NOT the thing to do.
    Lol.
    Care to explain why as well?

  7. #7

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmo21 View Post
    Why aren't the end client paying for the trip?
    I don't think it's even raised with the client. The client has agreed in a fixed man days contract to start with. So maybe the agency doesn't want to charge them extra? I don't know..

  8. #8

    King of updation

    TestMangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ardbeg, Isle Of Bute, Jock Land.
    Posts
    6,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skag View Post
    Lol.
    Care to explain why as well?
    So, you pay this time and tell the client you expect the agency to pay next time. Next time this comes up, Mr Agent says "But you paid the last time, so you have set a precedent. The terms of the written contract are superseded by the working practices etc etc."

    the agent may come up with loads of reasons, all of which are bollox, but the fact is, you paid once. you'll always pay if you do. (or you'll refuse to travel or something). However, you're kicking the can down the road and shooting yourself in the foot before you kick it.
    On Desolation Boulevard, they'd light the faded lights.....

  9. #9

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    3,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TestMangler View Post
    So, you pay this time and tell the client you expect the agency to pay next time. Next time this comes up, Mr Agent says "But you paid the last time, so you have set a precedent. The terms of the written contract are superseded by the working practices etc etc."

    the agent may come up with loads of reasons, all of which are bollox, but the fact is, you paid once. you'll always pay if you do. (or you'll refuse to travel or something). However, you're kicking the can down the road and shooting yourself in the foot before you kick it.
    This ^^^^^^

    Refuse or accept. Don’t p*ss about.
    See You Next Tuesday

  10. #10

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    409

    Default

    I am in complete agreement that if you set precedents, they are very difficult to reverse for the next time.

    I am of the opinion the agency should take it on the chin for the duration of the contract. We're all grown ups and had it been the other way - the contract stating all expenses are the responsibility of the contractor - we on this forum would be telling you to read the contract more carefully before signing.

    That they can't even draw up a contract means the agency really does Have to learn.

    But at the expense of a gig, in these times...?

    If the agency are really wanting to rewrite the contract for their expenses benefit, say 'Fine, we will also renegotiate the day rate.' And chuck it back in their court.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •