• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Find out current status of SC clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adubya View Post
    Mine elapsed 12 months after leaving the role/organisation which required it.
    Thanks for your reply. How do you know it lapsed? Did you get some notification that it had lapsed? Or did you learn of the lapsed status by contacting an organisation? Or something else?

Comment

It lapsed. That's about all you will ever know for sure. Presumably he or someone with a right to the information asked the previous security team. But the 12 month rule is clear and has been in place forever.

And before you ask the subject is not usually included in the "right to know" list.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by EylesIT View Post
        No I haven't. I still don't know which organisation or website that I can check to verify the current status of my security clearance. The statusus I listed were only my assumptions, and may not reflect the actual status recorded in the relevant SC system.
        Have you read the SC Clearance Sticky yet? All the answers you need are in the first post.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 24 April 2019, 16:36.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Give the vetting service a call and ask them.....

Comment

When you were granted your original clearance, the Security Office would have informed you. The start and expiry date would normally have been on the email, and clearance document.

Natural end used to be 10 years in the case of permies, 5 years in the case of contractors (it's now 7, in my case).

Certain clearances give you a card which has all your clearance details on it.

If your clearance has not been used for 12 months, since you left the role where it was last used, it will have lapsed.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              When you were granted your original clearance, the Security Office would have informed you. The start and expiry date would normally have been on the email, and clearance document.

Natural end used to be 10 years in the case of permies, 5 years in the case of contractors (it's now 7, in my case).

Certain clearances give you a card which has all your clearance details on it.

If your clearance has not been used for 12 months, since you left the role where it was last used, it will have lapsed.
              Mine is also 7 now. Could be a change across the whole vetting landscape or just certain sectors.
              I got a letter this time, which was a first. Previously all I had was an informal email telling me it had come through OK.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by EylesIT View Post
                Thanks for your reply. How do you know it lapsed? Did you get some notification that it had lapsed? Or did you learn of the lapsed status by contacting an organisation? Or something else?
                When I left the role/organisation where the SC was in place, I asked the security team about the duration of the SC. They confirmed that if I didn't use it within 12 months then it would lapse.

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                  When I left the role/organisation where the SC was in place, I asked the security team about the duration of the SC. They confirmed that if I didn't use it within 12 months then it would lapse.
                  Precisely. It's n years from the date it is granted, and you will be re-vetted after that point - provided you remain within a recognised environment that can manage SC clearance. If you aren't then it's 12 months from the day you leave, and even then it may not transfer or be acceptable to a new team.

As I've said at least a dozen times before...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                  X