• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Logistics of Working away in London - Experiences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also depends if you are married or single, if single it’s like hooking fish in a barrow full of fish, if married and you fancy some fun away from home during the week tinder is your best friend (or grinder) it both

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I commuted to London up and down the Brighton main line for years, then driving round the M25 for a few more. I finally snapped and moved!

I would echo some of the advice given above. Research various areas - ask here if you spot somewhere that looks reasonable and those of us who live in London or know it well can give you some guidance on the practicalities.

Be prepared to pay way more for pretty much everything compared to home. Public transport is good value though, I struggle to understand why so people bitch about it.

Stay in a hotel while you get settled into the role. You don't want to be stuck with a 6 month lease if you don't last the first month in the gig. It also gives you time to check out areas at different times of day, etc to make sure they're right for you.

Before I moved, I looked at 30-40 flats in about 6 different areas. Admittedly, I was looking for a long term home rather than short term crash pad, but it pays to do lots of viewings to get a feel for value etc

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        ...Research various areas - ask here if you spot somewhere that looks reasonable and those of us who live in London or know it well can give you some guidance on the practicalities.
        Any thoughts on Greenwich?

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
          Perfect timing.

Comment

I stay opposite side of river from Greenwich, great place

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Sucks donkey balls
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Greenwich is lovely, expensive! Not best connected to other part of London. To get to Blackfriars will be a trek.

GoT is referring to Isle of Dogs, just the other side of the river to the north, which is adjacent to Canary Wharf. Not a bad place either and can be considerably cheaper. It won't make a huge impact on your commute but give you the option to walk some aspects rather than use the DLR

Comment

So "a great place" and "sucks donkey balls." Why and why? I'm assuming, unless you are a donkey lover, that sucks donkey balls is not a good thing...

Another consideration is travel down to London. Client is saying that they would pay a rate that would take accommodation costs into account. However looking at taking the train return journeys are approx £250. Only done once a week but still substantial. in hindsight, would it be unreasonable to try and negotiate a higher rate to cover that are there ways to minimise the costs or would you just "suck it up" (cue donkey)? I am not on the flat rate VAT scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    ...Isle of Dogs, just the other side of the river to the north, which is adjacent to Canary Wharf. Not a bad place either and can be considerably cheaper. It won't make a huge impact on your commute but give you the option to walk some aspects rather than use the DLR
                    Excuse my ignorance but what is DLR? Ideally I would like a shorter commute daily and when lugging back my stuff between accommodation/ work/ station. What's Cartwright Gardens like?

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but what is DLR? Ideally I would like a shorter commute daily and when lugging back my stuff between accommodation/ work/ station.?
                      Omg really? . Start doing some of you own research. Jeez.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X