• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Logistics of Working away in London - Experiences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DLR is like the tube but different

The TFL website is your friend ...
    Keeping London moving - Transport for London

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      DLR is like the tube but different

The TFL website is your friend ...
      Keeping London moving - Transport for London
      With people stuck all over it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        With people stuck all over it.
        Sometimes, not always. People stuck to the front of a DLR train is not common but would be entertaining

Comment

Take a look at an app called citymapper, it's fantastic for working out how to move around London using all forms of transport, cycling, uber, public transport..
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
            So "a great place" and "sucks donkey balls." Why and why? I'm assuming, unless you are a donkey lover, that sucks donkey balls is not a good thing...

Another consideration is travel down to London. Client is saying that they would pay a rate that would take accommodation costs into account. However looking at taking the train return journeys are approx £250. Only done once a week but still substantial. in hindsight, would it be unreasonable to try and negotiate a higher rate to cover that are there ways to minimise the costs or would you just "suck it up" (cue donkey)? I am not on the flat rate VAT scheme.
            You need to gather the information about costs before you can then work out a rate that you are happy with and leaves you with a profit.
            No point accepting a contract on £250 pd in central London then asking for a rise once you find out that you will be living on the breadline.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Omg really? . Start doing some of you own research. Jeez.
              Dont think hes ever been to that London before....
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Dont think hes ever been to that London before....
                Lol. It appears so.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
                  So "a great place" and "sucks donkey balls." Why and why? I'm assuming, unless you are a donkey lover, that sucks donkey balls is not a good thing...

Another consideration is travel down to London. Client is saying that they would pay a rate that would take accommodation costs into account. However looking at taking the train return journeys are approx £250. Only done once a week but still substantial. in hindsight, would it be unreasonable to try and negotiate a higher rate to cover that are there ways to minimise the costs or would you just "suck it up" (cue donkey)? I am not on the flat rate VAT scheme.
                  Depends when you book it and when you travel. There's a 'window' of opportunity for lower fares but you have to book a few weeks in advance. Leaving it to the day before is asking for whopping fares. I have a mate travels down from Preston on a Monday morning and back again on a Thursday, WFH on Friday. He's arranged to arrive mid-morning and leave mid-afternoon, putting in a few extra hours Tuesday and Wednesday. By doing that his train fares are less than £ 500 a month. From Leeds, I got mine down to under £ 600 a month by going down the night before, which I didn't mind as I was only on site 2 days a week. I could probably have given up the apartment rental given I was only there 2 nights a week but there was no saving to be had staying in hotels and a lot more hassle. Plus, had I taken the morning train to get me to London for 08:59 it would have been over £ 100 more each trip and I've have been tired all day due to the early rise. It's whatever works for you. I enjoyed my party trains down and back, 1st class. Few beers, snacks and watch a film. My own little party!
                  Last edited by oliverson; 26 April 2019, 10:06.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                    Depends when you book it and when you travel. There's a 'window' of opportunity for lower fares but you have to book a few weeks in advance. Leaving it to the day before is asking for whopping fares. I have a mate travels down from Preston on a Monday morning and back again on a Thursday, WFH on Friday. He's arranged to arrive mid-morning and leave mid-afternoon, putting in a few extra hours Tuesday and Wednesday. By doing that his train fares are less than £ 500 a month. From Leeds, I got mine down to under £ 600 a month by going down the night before, which I didn't mind as I was only on site 2 days a week. I could probably have given up the apartment rental given I was only there 2 nights a week but there was no saving to be had staying in hotels and a lot more hassle. Plus, had I taken the morning train to get me to London for 08:59 it would have been over £ 100 more each trip and I've have been tired all day due to the early rise. It's whatever works for you. I enjoyed my party trains down and back, 1st class. Few beers, snacks and watch a film. My own little party!
                    Is fare splitting still worthwhile?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Is fare splitting still worthwhile?
                      Possibly but I'm too lazy to bother with it. Isn't that the kind of thing permies do? ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X