• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Logistics of Working away in London - Experiences?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
    So "a great place" and "sucks donkey balls." Why and why? I'm assuming, unless you are a donkey lover, that sucks donkey balls is not a good thing...

Another consideration is travel down to London. Client is saying that they would pay a rate that would take accommodation costs into account. However looking at taking the train return journeys are approx £250. Only done once a week but still substantial. in hindsight, would it be unreasonable to try and negotiate a higher rate to cover that are there ways to minimise the costs or would you just "suck it up" (cue donkey)? I am not on the flat rate VAT scheme.
    Because it's a highly personal decision and not one you are going to get any sense of an answer by just asking 'Is this place OK, is that place OK'. Some people my be happy to suck it up in really crap digs, others are highly specific about how they want to live.

Why don't you go down for a weekend for a nice break and a bit of a recce?

Getting to work is your problem, not your clients. If you want to take a remote gig you have to take the hit. You can try negotiating the rate to make it worth but everything outside the client's doors is your problem, not theirs. Nothing rubs a client up more than a remote contractor making their problem the clients.
    I've lost gigs in the past as the client has asked where I was and when it turned out I'd be staying over they've said no thanks due to issues with other travelling contractors. Hacks me off when the travelling guys in the office think they deserve something extra than the local guy sat next to them.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 April 2019, 10:29.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So "a great place" and "sucks donkey balls." Why and why? I'm assuming, unless you are a donkey lover, that sucks donkey balls is not a good thing...

Another consideration is travel down to London. Client is saying that they would pay a rate that would take accommodation costs into account. However looking at taking the train return journeys are approx £250. Only done once a week but still substantial. in hindsight, would it be unreasonable to try and negotiate a higher rate to cover that are there ways to minimise the costs or would you just "suck it up" (cue donkey)? I am not on the flat rate VAT scheme.
      Flying is cheaper than the train.
      Leeds Bradford to Heathrow is between £130 and £200 return depending on the dates.

VAT is not due for trains or planes so FRS makes no odds.

If Yorkshire based there is the Grand central train service that costs a lot less than the East Coast (whoever the f*** runs it these days).
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've been offered a contract in London, working in the Blackfriars area. I live in Manchester and have never contracted in the south, and don't know London at all (including the logistics of tube stations). I'll be working in the office Monday to Thursday (travelling in by train) and WFH Friday but the contract is for 10 months.

I'm trying to work out the most economical accommodation without having to share, live in any dodgy areas or have a ridiculously long, faffy commute. I do not really want to be commuting more than 30 minutes during the week. Which areas are decent and do-able time wise and which should I avoid? Is an airbnb a cheaper option than a hotel, or serviced apartments? It would be good to get some views from people who have either lived up north and worked in London or just generally have a good idea generally on the logistics of travelling, working and staying in the area.
        Did you ask them if you can sleep at your desk?

There are people who have come from an another country and working here (legally) and you are being a pussy saying that I have never contracted here or there. Move on. Either you fit in or don't.

Comment

Maybe drive down to somewhere like Raddlet late Sunday/early Monday and get Thameslink to Blackfriars each day.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
          X