• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More work + more responsibility = Same Day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More work + more responsibility = Same Day rate?

Folks,

My client has approached me to take a position of a team lead role (more responsibilities etc), mid contract. What is my stance on day rate uplift, and/or saying no in the likely event I tell them ''no'' ?

Any help on how to approach this situation with the client without coming across like a complete newb?

Thanks
    Ad

Originally posted by KingFrank View Post
    Folks,

My client has approached me to take a position of a team lead role (more responsibilities etc), mid contract. What is my stance on day rate uplift, and/or saying no in the likely event I tell them ''no'' ?

Any help on how to approach this situation with the client without coming across like a complete newb?

Thanks
    Ad
    Are you a newb?

No disrespect, there's two ways to look at it:-
    • It's good experience thus I'm not going to sweat the money.
    • Just more of the same clients trying to squeeze more for less.

Only you know what's going on at the clients site and whether or not the experience of being a team lead is new or valuable to you. Personally, when I climb the ladder, I usually wait until renewal to ask for more money. But I suppose if I took a step down on purpose, I'd immediately expect a bump on being asked to do more.

Comment

Originally posted by KingFrank View Post
      Folks,

Thanks
      Ad
      Isnt it good you are getting more responsibility? What do you need to moan about? Just make sure some of your mundane tasks are agreed to be delegated to your team members now that you are the lead. You should still end up with the same amount of work but higher quality.

Comment

What about IR35 concerns; no new contract with new deliverables - just being moved around the org willy nilly like a perm.

New contract and rate uplift time. IR35 concerns are "comfortable" reason you can explain regarding giving a NO answer.

Comment

Do you actually want that change of role? If not tell them why you want to 'pass' on it. If they still need you for what you're doing now then they are unlikely to terminate the contract. Same as when clients ask if you want to go permie. The answer should start with deciding what you want.

If you do want to move 'up the ladder' then assess if the other/previous team lead was on a higher rate of pay as their minions or if they were on similar rate but had to do more so were just doing it for the status. That will give you an inkling as to how likely the client is willing to pay more.

No harm asking if they are willing to pay more for the role change, especially if your contract clearly says what your role is so they are wanting to change contract terms. You need to go via the agency (if not direct with client) to make the change official so don't mention actual rates and negotiate with the client, that's what the agency is for.

Otherwise assess how it goes and if not happy tell the agent you want a rate increase at the next renewal or you're walking, if you really do feel like walking if not compensated adequately.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Don't forget you will need a new Statement of Work or better still get them to give notice on the old contract and start a new one. Can't just pick up a new piece of work from the client and carry on with no change to paperwork.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Being asked to do more for the same money is pretty normal when contracting, everyone wants more for less right?

Don't ask for more until the next renewal, if you've done a good job they can't argue and negotiations are likely to be better natured but you will need a new definition of your instructions.

Comment

I would suggest a change in Statement of Works (SoW). Perhaps negotiate a rate increase (if its warranted) via the agent.

By allowing the client to determine what you are doing could have implications on the IR35 status!

Just remember to discuss this through the agent and not the client (your contract is with the agent remember).

WLB.

Comment

I would say not asking for more, you already have negotiated a rate for the contract. It isn't like they're asking for more hours or to work weekends, from what I see it is simply somewhat more interesting.

After a few months if you feel the company depends on you because of superior expertise in comparison to your colleagues then you can demand more.

The key to whether you deserve a higher rate is whether other clients will give you that rate as well.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I would be delighted to accept this new role at £200 a day extra

Yours sincerely

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X