• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New job, no agency - best approach to negotiate rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"New job", "Negotiate rate". It is corrupted from the beginning with that mindset. That is why a taxman hunting us.

"New client", "Build a client loyalty". What rate is not that important for profit. In opposite, discounts may help more. Returning customer is the heart of any success.

Comment

Client may be expecting you to do the job at same rate a permie would - surprised rate has not come up until now? Stop dreaming of top tier rates your client may laugh at

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post
        I've been offered a new contract which I've got direct with client, no agency involvement.
        Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Client may be expecting you to do the job at same rate a permie would - surprised rate has not come up until now? Stop dreaming of top tier rates your client may laugh at
        That's a good point.
        You can't have any sort of offer without a rate.
        What you have is a sales enquiry. Time to provide a quote.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Well, I put in my desired rate at the top end, with an additional £50 for expected negotiation, and they accepted it (after seeking exec approvals). So happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post
            Well, I put in my desired rate at the top end, with an additional £50 for expected negotiation, and they accepted it (after seeking exec approvals). So happy days.
            I hate it when they rip your arm off.
            it means they'd have paid more if you asked.
            it's a right bugger.

Comment

You could have got £250 a day more easy

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                I hate it when they rip your arm off.
                it means they'd have paid more if you asked.
                it's a right bugger.
                A friend of mine just started a contract. He wanted €750 pd so asked for 850. Ended up with 950 + flights, hotels, taxis to and from airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  A friend of mine just started a contract. He wanted €750 pd so asked for 850. Ended up with 950 + flights, hotels, taxis to and from airport.
                  I bloody hate it when that happens
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I bloody hate it when that happens
                    Yeah, I normally go down the pub and quietly sob into my pint...

Comment

Originally posted by gnarledcontractor View Post
                      Yeah, I normally go down the pub and quietly sob into my pint...
                      Try doing that in Kabul. If it sounds too good to be true...

Comment

Working...
                      X