• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 and day rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If being in IR35 becomes the new norm in the private sector it will kill contracting being a mobile resource, especially at the lower end of the rate scale.

Comment

Depends if inside public sector, where its taxpayers money’s and people can get 35% if private sector the answer will be ZERO as client will be able to pick and choose people by the dozen willing to work inside IR35 for same rate, unless you are in that magical 1% that they can’t find the skill for

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        You can still be outside IR35, the law itself hasn't changed. However you will have to have the balls to challenge your "employer's" decision on your status, probably at an ET where you will be claiming holiday and pension rights á la Susan Winchester or your IR35 status at the commissioners. If enough people start that process the clients will soon look for a better solution.

What we ought to be doing is teaching clients that the 2020 changes do not mean they have to put everyone inside IR35 out of fear of the taxman, but recruit their contractors on a proper B2B basis so there is no place for IR35 to apply. If they do realise that the world will keep on turning.

It's that education that is missing. The agencies are holding seminars left, right and centre - and, naturally enough, selling the wrong answer to protect their own business model.
        Oh indeed, I do completely agree with all of the above.

I have tried with my agency ref Private Sector IR35 next year, and there is nothing going on and seemingly no one to speak to about it, much less educate.

Mine is just a supposing of what the reality might, in all likelihood, be.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Around 25 to 30%
          Nah I reckon 35% at least.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
            Depends on the location. If I have significant travel expenses that can no longer go through the company, I suspect that the rate increase would need to be 50%+ which means that I wouldn't even waste time looking at the role.
            Agreed. Because you can't claim expenses if they are significant it makes more of a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              No amount

Wouldn't take one, on principle, because I don't want to deal with the crap that disguised employees deal with (and I also wouldn't take one that was nominally inside but with working practices that contradicted that, again on principle).

But, to answer your question directly, probably 30-35%.
              What a load of tosh.....

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                Depends if inside public sector, where its taxpayers money’s and people can get 35% if private sector the answer will be ZERO as client will be able to pick and choose people by the dozen willing to work inside IR35 for same rate, unless you are in that magical 1% that they can’t find the skill for

Well in April 2017 my PS client thought that and all the contractors left leaving them right up the creek.

They weren't happy but had to hike rates by 35%.

OK. Maybe easier with PS money to do this but I'd argue that private companies are going to have no choice either.

Comment

IR35 and day rate

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Well in April 2017 my PS client thought that and all the contractors left leaving them right up the creek.

They weren't happy but had to hike rates by 35%.

OK. Maybe easier with PS money to do this but I'd argue that private companies are going to have no choice either.
                  Not when they can get offshore resources to come onshore for under current contractor rates now

But you in the public sector will still soon have major competition as the cream from the private sector look to move over and replace to maintain there rates

Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 15 May 2019, 09:43.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    What a load of tosh.....
                    Was that the message from your line manager in your tenth annual performance review as first tier support monkey?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      Was that the message from your line manager in your tenth annual performance review as first tier support monkey?
                      Yeh right ok mate. Never done 1st line support in my life....

Who am I to spoil your fun? ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X