• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Early termination of the contract by client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early termination of the contract by client

My contract has been prematurely terminated by the client after 3 months in a six month contract. I was on four weeks notice and was dishonoured by client (as per agency). Although in a direct communication with the client they confirmed no four weeks notice in place between them and the agency in their statement of work. Agency and I have four weeks notice. Now agency is trying to bypass one way or either with number of excuses like client complaint etc etc. Please advise if anyone has encountered the same and what would be best way resolving this. Ideally, I should have been paid for four weeks as per my contract, acting as an immunity.

Note - The reason of early termination I understand is because of freed up permanent resources from the other project. Hence, the client bid sudden farewell to the contractor.

Advice awaited....Thanks!

Suck it up. Move on. Welcome to contracting

Comment

They are under obligation to honour your notice. But there is no obligation to provide you with work.

In effect, notice periods are meaningless.

Sadly, you have to move on. Start looking elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by avatcuk View Post
        Ideally, I should have been paid for four weeks as per my contract, acting as an immunity.
        Ideally you would be paid 4 weeks.
        However there is no legal obligation to do so.

Your only realistic expectation is to get paid for the work you've done (and have timesheet for).

If you searched this forum you'd find the same answer in many threads.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The contract between your agency and your LTD will say you get paid x per day payable upon receipt of a signed timesheet. You don't have a signed timesheet so you get paid nothing.

Contractors do not get paid for not working.

Welcome to contracting.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            They are under obligation to honour your notice. But there is no obligation to provide you with work.

In effect, notice periods are meaningless.

Sadly, you have to move on. Start looking elsewhere.
            WBS

People get hung up on notice periods, but it works both ways, most contracts have no mutuality of obligation (MOO), they are not obliged to give you work and you are not obliged to complete any work, you just won't get paid if you don't.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Contractors do not get paid for not working.
              Debatable...... but slightly different to the point being made.....
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Now I see what people are saying but imagine if it was the other way around.

We get people on here moaning when contractors give notice anyway. Imagine, as a contractor, strolling into client and saying "Im not giving notice I'm off at the end of the day".

Client would be mega wassed off.... Agent would blow his lid as well I expect if it meant they lost a months worth of their margin.

Yes I know the relationship is different but I still thinks its a bit tight when clients do this. OK they're situation has changed but, come on, play fair and just give notice.

If it was we, even though you might not get anywhere, I'd be pushing for that months notice. Whats there to lose? It'd be a good laugh if nothing else.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  If it was we, even though you might not get anywhere, I'd be pushing for that months notice. Whats there to lose? It'd be a good laugh if nothing else.
                  Fill your boots. Only your time you are wasting. And it wouldn't be a good laugh, you'd moan endlessly about the whole sorry situation on here.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Fill your boots. Only your time you are wasting. And it wouldn't be a good laugh, you'd moan endlessly about the whole sorry situation on here.
                    Easy enough to send invoice to agency etc. Small claims if you're so inclined.

Actually, dont IPSE cover for things like this as well? I remember claiming one day off them once (notice period was one day) when a gig got pulled at 5pm on a friday before monday start once.

Also, laugh would be you lot getting wound up when I moaned on here ;-)
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X