• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Magic mantra to be in contract for long?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic mantra to be in contract for long?

Max length I have been into a contract had been 11 months only and that even once. What's the magic mantra to be in contract for long term and keep renewing. Smart and hard work certainly I know is one of them, what else. Please enlighten.

Long contracts are boring, drain creativity and stagnate your skills.

My longest is 16 months and I get itchy feet, even when working somewhere I really like, after about 10-11 months.

Your contract should reflect the time needed to deliver the project. If you want longevity, go permie (although saying that, you could be made redundant just before you hit 24 months and miss out on any comp)

Comment

There isn't a magic mantra. It's about being a good contractor and running a business and doing what is needed for the gig. Each one can be different. Expectations, delivery style, working environment etc . Having a 'mantra' means you'll not be understanding the nuances and adapting so fail at most before you find one that fits your mantra.

The above is how to stay in a gig for awhile if it's available. If the client only needs you for a period of time to deliver a set piece of work then no mantra's will help. The gig is as long as the client needs you.

What happened that ended the 11th month gig. Would a 'mantra' have helped it be longer? I'll bet it wouldn't.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        If you want longevity, go permie (although saying that, you could be made redundant just before you hit 24 months and miss out on any comp)
        I had once have a sour taste being into a permanent role. Where upon completion of probation of six months and simultaneously exhausting my skills on the project, they/employer never continued me, once the probation was over.

Basically, some companies do cheat in this way to economies cost by bringing permie until probation, giving lucrative vertical growth opportunities, instead of hiring contractors at the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Long contracts are boring, drain creativity and stagnate your skills.

My longest is 16 months and I get itchy feet, even when working somewhere I really like, after about 10-11 months.

Your contract should reflect the time needed to deliver the project. If you want longevity, go permie (although saying that, you could be made redundant just before you hit 24 months and miss out on any comp)
          Previous to this, my range had been 6 to 23 months. Just passed my 3 year mark and may stick it out for another 5, as I want to see tulip deployed. Also, I work in a very very small niche market, unless I want to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            What happened that ended the 11th month gig. Would a 'mantra' have helped it be longer? I'll bet it wouldn't.
            I agree as long the client needs.

11 month was actually 15 month. Contracts were all exchanged upon renewable. Then after couple of months of services it was cut short by three months by new program management to 11 months of services altogether.

Comment

My shortest have been 4 and 6 months.

My longest continuous 2.5 years. Most of my contracts have been over a year

Comment

As long as I am renewed - normally a couple of years

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by avatcuk View Post
                  I had once have a sour taste being into a permanent role. Where upon completion of probation of six months and simultaneously exhausting my skills on the project, they/employer never continued me, once the probation was over......
                  Originally posted by avatcuk View Post
                  My contract has been prematurely terminated by the client after 3 months in a six month contract.........
                  a bit of a theme here
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Longest - 23 months (twice, oddly enough)

Shortest - 2 days (a quick report on a service failure)

Shortest "proper" one - 3 weeks.

Average income over 22 years has been pretty consistent, so I was doing something properly!
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X