• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone any experience with Dabster Systems Recruitment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone any experience with Dabster Systems Recruitment?

Hi,

First time contractor and looking into a contract role with HCL in Ireland however role is through recruitment agency called Dabster Systems. Does anyone have any experience with this company in terms of payments etc.?

I would be going down the route of an umbrella company.

Thanks,
    Geoff.

Dabster? What sort of a name is that?? Sounds like something an ex-90's raver came up with while staring at a Sherbet Dib-dab packet on an E come down.

You should check them out on Companies House, run a credit check, Google the directors' names.

EDIT: Ignore all that. HCL? Step away. Absolutely awful outfit. They can't write a contract for toffee and use agencies because they are grossly incompetent and have no clue about IR35. The agency is there to provide an IR35 friendly layer even though you will have no visibility of the contractual terms up the chain. Most recently I got coerced into working via them again and I did get paid on time, fortnightly, but can't say if that was because of the agency or HCL. The same core outfit hasn't changed though.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 16 May 2019, 21:46.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Dabster? What sort of a name is that?? Sounds like something an ex-90's raver came up with while staring at a Sherbet Dib-dab packet on an E come down.

You should check them out on Companies House, run a credit check, Google the directors' names.

EDIT: Ignore all that. HCL? Step away. Absolutely awful outfit. They can't write a contract for toffee and use agencies because they are grossly incompetent and have no clue about IR35. The agency is there to provide an IR35 friendly layer even though you will have no visibility of the contractual terms up the chain. Most recently I got coerced into working via them again and I did get paid on time, fortnightly, but can't say if that was because of the agency or HCL. The same core outfit hasn't changed though.
      Yes Dabster Systems. Their website looks awful although don't really mind as long as I get paid on time!

Okay thanks, although this is Ireland there is no equivalent IR35 nor Managed Services Company legislation in Ireland. I am actually Irish so never heard of IR35.

Comment

Does not compute...

Never heard of IR35? Going through an umbrella? Worried about the agency?

Those three are mutually incompatible, even in Eire where there is no Intermediaries legislation, as you say. I suggest you do a bit of reading! And take notice of what ladymuck said, she knows of what she speaks.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have worked with them before, and also on a gig for HCL, but in UK.

They are a small band, having a few people operating in India, and one or two here in UK. They do a monthly cycle, and the amount does take time coming in.

But haven’t had issues with them, except for following up once in a while.

They are more a front for HCL, and things like rate increases, contract extensions, and following up on payments you will need to ask HCL, as they pay you when they get paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Assume you are liable for taxation in Ireland although for some short term contracts, you can avoid this. I recommend you set up using a Director's Umbrella. Talk to Icon Accounting.

Director's Umbrella offers you the same PRSI (NIC equivalent) as being a sole trader. While there is no IR35, there are rules about disguised self employment. In theory these apply to IT contractors, but they seem mainly to be applied in construction. Sensible precautions to distinguish yourself from being a permie are worth taking.

Main advice is not to underestimate cost of a living, including taxation, particularly in Dublin.

Haven't heard of agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Assume you are liable for taxation in Ireland although for some short term contracts, you can avoid this. I recommend you set up using a Director's Umbrella. Talk to Icon Accounting.

Director's Umbrella offers you the same PRSI (NIC equivalent) as being a sole trader. While there is no IR35, there are rules about disguised self employment. In theory these apply to IT contractors, but they seem mainly to be applied in construction. Sensible precautions to distinguish yourself from being a permie are worth taking.

Main advice is not to underestimate cost of a living, including taxation, particularly in Dublin.

Haven't heard of agency.
              Yes it's icon accounting I was going to go with for the umbrella as director, they manage all the taxes etc and I knew there was no IR35 hence why I've never heard of it. I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with the agency.

Comment

Looks like agency is UK based but primarily Indian. Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by geox View Post
                  Looks like agency is UK based but primarily Indian. Hmm.
                  Better add them to the list in this thread then

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...rating-uk.html

Edit: They are actually on the list

Comment

I got contacted by them a while back. After a lot of to and fro chat on rates, I send the CV through and never heard back. On my ignore list now.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X