• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice on taking contract while looking for perm work too.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on taking contract while looking for perm work too.

Hi, I am in the process of seeking employment and I am getting lots of perm and contracts positions put forward to me etc..

I have been out of work since the start of the year and I need something asap and I can't afford to wait for some of perm positions to get back to me with their long interview process etc..

I am looking for contract roles, but I would ideally like the right perm job if it came along.

Therefore i would like to know what I can do if :
    • I take a contract position for 3 or 6 months.
    • Then one of the perm jobs that I have applied for come back to me with an interview.
    • Or while I am in the contract role, I see a permanent job that looks really interesting?

Can I still apply for perm jobs while I am in a contract?
    And if so, what if the perm employer doesn't want to wait for my contract to expire?

Thanks

Get a contract that has a notice period.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I didn't know that you could do that.

What would be a good example of length?

2, 4 weeks etc..

What about if you wanted to go on holiday during the period of your contract. i.e a 3 month contract right now will take me into the holiday season. I don't have anything planned but I may want to go away.

Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately reading your posts there seems to be a awful lot you don't know. You need to spend time reading the newbies guides on the right and using the Google search method as described in the FAQ of the forum. Briefly you type the following in to Google.

(keyword) site:forums.contractoruk.com

You don't tend to get a choice of notice period. It's whatever they offer in the contract. It can be anything from a few days to 4 weeks or you might get a contract that doesn't allow you to terminate in which case you are stuck until the end. Searching the forums will give you more information on notice.

If you want to go on holiday you just advise the client you are unavailable for work that week and you go but you don't get paid.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 16 May 2019, 23:14.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What work are you lookign for?
          What are your salary/day rate expectations?
          How many yeas experience do you have in those skills?
          Where are you looking for work?

Something doesn't add up. There's no shortage of work, especially perm work. the biggest problem employers have is finding good people. If you can't find work then you're not looking in the right place, or you're not coming across as any good.

You should concentrate on perm work as that's easier to find, and requires less skills.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
          X