• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance level 3 vetting - worried

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance level 3 vetting - worried

Hi All,

Need some advice if possible.

I have successfully got a new job in IT which requires SC clearance. Never had no issues getting a job actually have had a decent career so far but this is my first SC application.

I'm deeply worried about a caution I got in 2002. Do I declare this or would it be cleared from my record and no need to mention?

I can't make up my mind. If I mention it and it's not on my record will they look into it and deny me the clearance?

Caution was related to a retail shop. A colleague was not scanning every item and got caught. I was blamed for overlooking it hence why I got a caution. Silly mistake I was like 18 at the time. Small value items.

Your advice will be appreciated thanks

If it comes up as a question then mention it but if not there will probably be an anything else to declare bit at the end. If so mention it.

I would have thought a you would be ok unless you try and hide it.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      If it comes up as a question then mention it but if not there will probably be an anything else to declare bit at the end. If so mention it.

I would have thought a you would be ok unless you try and hide it.
      The SC application does ask for previous cautions. So OK to mention it? I'm worried of getting rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by WorriedOne View Post
        The SC application does ask for previous cautions. So OK to mention it? I'm worried of getting rejected.
        If it asks for cautions then mention it!

If you don’t and they find out they will most likely reject it. If you mention it, then at least it shows your credibility.

If you’re worried about rejection then keep looking till you have your bum in a seat.

Comment

I got a TS10 for going through a bus lane (because I was getting out of the way of a police pursuit car), I always declare it even though I'm pretty sure I don't have to. What they are looking for is honesty. If you're not going to be honest with a very minor thing you're more likely to be dodgy down the line.....
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Mention it.

They want to now if your susceptible to black mail as much as being trustworthy. Being embarrassed about a caution and not mentioning it makes you susceptible to black mail and also untrustworthy.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Do you really think the clearance team wont take a look for any criminal records or similar information?

Think about what they are testing you for...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Don't Worry

I have a caution for worse than your offence and it didn't stop my SC being renewed.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Just be honest about it - I got a £40 fine when I was 17 for punching a 16 year old lad (he deserved it by the way).

In my late 30s when applying for SC I still mentioned it. Better safe than sorry and as others have said, it's honesty they're looking for not being squeaky clean necessarily. Personally can't see that caution being a reason for you not getting SC but not being transparent about it .... and them subsequently finding out will be.

Comment

We've got a sticky at the top of this very part of the forum named SC clearance Read First before asking questions. Link is here.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...questions.html

We get this question endlessly and although the thread has turned in to a mammoth the same advice as above has been given endlessly. It's always exactly the same. Be honest.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X