• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Under what conditions would you go permanent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm in an interesting predicament.

My current contract in London pays very well indeed. However, being an Australian citizen and on a temporary youth visa, I'll have to end my contract leave the country in a couple of months' time.

The only other way for me to continue to work in the UK is through a sponsorship. This rules out contracting, as you are required to have a sponsor and be employed for that sponsor directly as an employee (so no "management companies" or anything like that either).

And as it happens, a permanent opportunity has come up, with one of the big banks, and it's pretty decently paid. When I factor out taxes, and compare it to the amount I would earn as a contractor practically anywhere else in the world (also taking into account the strength of the GBP), it works out to be almost as good as contracting. I mean, we're talking a difference of maybe £3-4k per year, which isn't a tonne compared to the rate as a whole.

So I guess my choices are:
    • Keep contracting
    • Go overseas
    • Get paid slightly higher
    • Probably work for lesser-known brands

vs:
    • Accept the offer, get sponsorship and go permanent in the UK
    • Earn slightly less money
    • Work for a large international brand
    • Chance of more stability and maybe promotions

So it made me wonder what others on this forum would consider sufficient reasons for taking permanent employment.

Would money would sway you and how much?
    Are you ever tempted by the opportunity to work for big/prominent brands?
    Does career progression / promotion factor in to this?

Or are you a "contractor for life" and would never consider becoming shackled to an employer?

Contractor for life!

Comment

I'd do whatever suits my personal circumstances which is why we cannot answer this type of question.

I thought I was a contractor for life but there is an opportunity at my current client to go perm and I'm considering it. I enjoy the work and environment and the last three years have been working away from home but this one is on my doorstep. I'm comfortable enough to not run up and down the country chasing the rate and even if I went perm I could leave later and go back to contracting. I'd just treat it as a not so well paid gig for awhile.

So as I say it's a decision based on my personal situation so really don't understand how the opinions of some random people on the Internet can help you with a decision like this. List the pros and then the cons and make a decision based on what suits you.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Under the right conditions for me at the time.

... but if I did go perm, that doesn’t mean never going back to contracting
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Loads of money, not having to work too hard. That's what did it for me.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            Contractor for life!
            Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            ... but if I did go perm, that doesn’t mean never going back to contracting
            Indeed.

One is either permanently temporary, or temporarily permanent....

Comment

I fell into contracting by accident and found it suited me well. Not sure I could go back to permanent but, as I've said on other similar threads on this topic, it's not something I would ever entirely rule out.

My decision to change would be made based on my circumstances at the time. For the foreseeable future there is nothing that would make me go permanent.

Comment

What's so 'permanent' about a 'permanent' position?

you can get canned in a redundancy wave with a month's notice any time.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

Or more likely, be made aware of an upcoming optimisation wave and have to sit under its dark cloud of miserable unknowing for six months while the consultation period progresses.

For me, one of the reasons why I will likely be a contractor for life.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

A very good point.

Some say there is more security in contracting.

Comment

Working...
                    X