• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Under what conditions would you go permanent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not just about money for me at the moment. The only way I could consider it is if they pay me enough to pay the bills and provide for my family.

Other than that it would be about future proofing myself, I'm a new contractor and PM so if I have the opportunity to get experience and or promotion so that I'd be more in demand in a couple of years then I would consider perm. And am considering it as that's the exact scenario I'm in currently.

Comment

Originally posted by Slinky View Post
      It's not just about money for me at the moment. The only way I could consider it is if they pay me enough to pay the bills and provide for my family.

Other than that it would be about future proofing myself, I'm a new contractor and PM so if I have the opportunity to get experience and or promotion so that I'd be more in demand in a couple of years then I would consider perm. And am considering it as that's the exact scenario I'm in currently.
      That's a really sensible approach. A permie role is good for getting essential training and experience in a particular field, where entry as a contractor could be more challenging. When you add it to your CV, it's just another client.

Comment

I went permie because it suited my family situation better. Regular job, regular location, regular money - not as much but it will do.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I thought I was a contractor for life but there is an opportunity at my current client to go perm and I'm considering it.
          What about the perks? Will they allow you to post on CUK during business hours or will they actually expect you to work?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            List the pros and then the cons and make a decision based on what suits you.
            Chances are he doesn't have a very good list of pros and cons and this is, admittedly, an imprecise way of getting help compiling such a list.

Probably nobody thinks of everything in putting together such a list, so it's not a bad idea to get the input of a broad range of people, many of whom will have thought about the decision, and will no doubt drop into their comments some of their pros/cons. And that's probably what he was hoping for.

Not everyone is always as razor-sharp as you always are in formulating what they write here.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              I went permie because it suited my family situation better. Regular job, regular location, regular money - not as much but it will do.
              Exactly what I'm considering as well. I haven't been contracting for long but it's made me realise that the stability of permie land means more to me at present that the flexibility, perks etc. of being a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by jconway View Post
                So I'm in an interesting predicament.

My current contract in London pays very well indeed. However, being an Australian citizen and on a temporary youth visa, I'll have to end my contract leave the country in a couple of months' time.

The only other way for me to continue to work in the UK is through a sponsorship. This rules out contracting, as you are required to have a sponsor and be employed for that sponsor directly as an employee (so no "management companies" or anything like that either).

And as it happens, a permanent opportunity has come up, with one of the big banks, and it's pretty decently paid. When I factor out taxes, and compare it to the amount I would earn as a contractor practically anywhere else in the world (also taking into account the strength of the GBP), it works out to be almost as good as contracting. I mean, we're talking a difference of maybe £3-4k per year, which isn't a tonne compared to the rate as a whole.

So I guess my choices are:
                • Keep contracting
                • Go overseas
                • Get paid slightly higher
                • Probably work for lesser-known brands

vs:
                • Accept the offer, get sponsorship and go permanent in the UK
                • Earn slightly less money
                • Work for a large international brand
                • Chance of more stability and maybe promotions

So it made me wonder what others on this forum would consider sufficient reasons for taking permanent employment.

Would money would sway you and how much?
                Are you ever tempted by the opportunity to work for big/prominent brands?
                Does career progression / promotion factor in to this?

Or are you a "contractor for life" and would never consider becoming shackled to an employer?
                Marry a Brit, or find a long lost grandparent entitled to a EU passport, seems to be the way most Australians get to stay here

Comment

Working...
                X