• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie Contractor already been asked to go perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Contractor already been asked to go perm

I'm 2 months into my first contract and have been asked to go perm when contract is up in Sept . They haven't mentioned money but boss said they asked agency what the process was to get contractor to perm.

I am completely thrown didn't expect this so soon especially on my first project and its not even nearly delivered yet.

I am flattered but also a bit gutted as I'm only just revelling in the contractor perks of more money..hate awkward conversations about money and I need to earn a set amount to support family, and I don't think they could offer that perm.. But they may surprise me.

Has anyone turned down perm offer and continued to get contract extended? Or was it game over and time to look for a new company.

Originally posted by Slinky View Post
    I'm 2 months into my first contract and have been asked to go perm when contract is up in Sept . They haven't mentioned money but boss said they asked agency what the process was to get contractor to perm.

I am completely thrown didn't expect this so soon especially on my first project and its not even nearly delivered yet.

I am flattered but also a bit gutted as I'm only just revelling in the contractor perks of more money..hate awkward conversations about money and I need to earn a set amount to support family, and I don't think they could offer that perm.. But they may surprise me.

Has anyone turned down perm offer and continued to get contract extended? Or was it game over and time to look for a new company.
    I'm often asked to go permie. Turn them down politely and carry on as before. No need to worry and think you won't get an extension. In fact it seems like they like you.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I'm often asked to go permie..
      WTF???????

Comment

I have been asked whether I'd consider a permanent role but it was always something asked in passing rather than a formal offer.

I'm not so wedded to being a contractor that I'd never consider it. There's a whole heap of things that would have to line up for it to be viable which makes such a scenario unlikely.

It's not just about more money or tax breaks. At the end of the day, you have to decide what's the right path for you.

Do consider if your contract is now IR35 caught as your client has realised it's a permanent position and not a temporary project role.

Comment

Not sure why you'd be flattered. You should be better than the perms so should expect they want your skills for half the money.

I'd be seriously worried about my IR35 status if they are just treating my contract like a trial period before offering me a perm gig.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Not sure why you'd be flattered. You should be better than the perms so should expect they want your skills for half the money.

I'd be seriously worried about my IR35 status if they are just treating my contract like a trial period before offering me a perm gig.
            My contract is for 1 project and all my time is charged there however I am increasingly being asked unofficially to work on other things.

Perm role would be a promotion on paper - programme Lead. Currently im a PM. Considering in my old job 2 months ago I was a PMO/junior PM I am hugely flattered.

Comment

Just to add a bit of background as I realise above could sound far stretched I managed a large finance department in my pre project management life and moved across into project management. This may explain more why they they are offering me lead role.

Comment

I was asked the same before my first renewal (mine was a techie job); I am still there 2 years later on a better rate.
                Moving on at the end of June though.

Comment

Originally posted by Slinky View Post
                  My contract is for 1 project and all my time is charged there however I am increasingly being asked unofficially to work on other things.

Perm role would be a promotion on paper - programme Lead. Currently im a PM. Considering in my old job 2 months ago I was a PMO/junior PM I am hugely flattered.
                  If that's the case then it could be a good thing. Although you've got a PM gig the PMO/junior gigs could still hurt you down the line and lack of experience could make which gigs you go for a little limiting. Going perm for this role could give you solid experience on the CV and allow you to get much better rates. Could be worth taking the hit for a year if you can come back and charge upwards of 100 quid a day more than a mid level PM. Opportunity not to be sniffed at there.

P. S. Taking work out outside your contract is not good for IR35.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    WTF???????

Well I certainly wouldn't agree to be employed by someone who would employ me. I do have some standards.

Comment

Working...
                    X