• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 day week contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 day week contract

I would to do a part-time MSc in September. It lasts 2 years, one full day per week.

I have been thinking about asking my client to reduce my contract to 4 days per week. Does anyone know if this is common practice? I'm guessing it is unlikely.

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    I would to do a part-time MSc in September. It lasts 2 years, one full day per week.

I have been thinking about asking my client to reduce my contract to 4 days per week. Does anyone know if this is common practice? I'm guessing it is unlikely.
    You can only ask

I worked with one guy who did this - public sector client few years back. In fact he only did 3 days and spent 2 days on his side business (not sure how he explained this to Client Co)

You need to be careful you do not end up doing 5 days work in 4 days

Comment

I've done this a couple of times and no harm in asking.

Comment

I used to do forty hours in 3.5 days. Arrive at client site at 7am Monday to Wednesday, do 11 hours. Thursday work 7am to 2pm, drive home. Bill 40 hours. It was agreed at the start of the contract.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

They might be flexible as you are already there but next to no chance of the next gig allowing it from the off. You cant bank at being in the same gig for the next 2 years.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd suggest you discuss it with them - can you put in the hours during the 4 days?
            Have you proven the quality of your work and your work ethic to the client so that they value you highly - not just in your own mind?
            Is the course a fixed day per week?
            If this contract came to an end, is your warchest large enough to mean you don't need to be in contract while studying?
            If you need to continue working while studying, can you get a job at a local supermarket/etc?
            If push came to shove, and a good gig came up, would you forget your studies?

Or, take a different tack... Could you do the course through the OU and so your studying could be done at weekends?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm just about to go 3 days a week. Third time I've done it. Just ask.

Comment

Another consideration is how many weeks per year is the term time. Are you in fact just asking for 35 days per year?

Comment

Have a look at the academic calendar - you'll probably find that there are only c32 (or less) weeks of actual teaching / study / exams so it may not need to be every week if this helps your case.

I'm doing the same, although I am on a FTC (so not a proper contractor!!) at the mo, at the institution I am studying at, so they are a bit more flexible. Its also a double whammy for them as they get a small cost saving, and gain a fee paying customer!

Comment

I've done 5 days over 4 at some clients, especially when working away.

Anything is possible, it just depends on asking and how vital you are to the client
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X