• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Made unemployed by an agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superhans View Post
    Understood, surely the agency should issue the contract once the PO is in place no? Seems like an arse about face way of doing things
    yes, you'd think so, but they don't always.

Comment

Anything I can do about this?
      Yes, the sun's over the yardarm isn't it? Enjoy an afternoons drinking and congratulate yourself on the fortunate position you find yourself in.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, its the first time i've experienced this, or even heard of it. No idea on the PO, I'm not sure I'd want to work for them after this, pity they can't be held accountable, the contracts are worth tulip if this is how the system works.
        Indeed. Its part of the contractor lifestyle.

I think it has happened to quite a few of us.

Comment

It can be a shock to the system if you've not experienced it.

Not quite the same, as my previous contract had came to a natural end, but for me I had a contract cancelled 3 days before due to start.

I was well aware these things can happen, but still really annoyed.

Luckily the client paid me for a week as an apology (pay for work not done?! ssh!!!)

A better contract came along a few days later, so it was a win all round.

Comment

Morning,

I was in a contract, gave more than the required time to hand notice in in order to start a new longer contract that i'd received the paperwork for. So far so good. That is until late Friday I was advised my new contract didn't have a PO signed off, therefore i'm now unemployed. I even emailed the agency about the new contract before I handed my notice in just to make sure all ok, I was advised I had the new contract in an email i'd received so its confirmed.

Anything I can do about this? I'm so pissed off.

Cheers
            Had exactly the same (P/O not signed at the last minute, contract withdrawn) earlier this year. If you've signed the contract and are an IPSE+ member the business interruption insurance will give you £1K.

It is infuriating (similarly I'd turned down other offers) but nothing to be done. I've got a task on my to do list to look for a greater level of business interruption cover...

Comment

Understood, surely the agency should issue the contract once the PO is in place no? Seems like an arse about face way of doing things
              or they might have just lied to you. Makes no odds as there's no work for you.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Due to start a new contract on Monday but still applying for new ones. As many have already said, you don't have a contract until you're sat at your desk on the first day. Never stop looking

VC

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  lots of companies have hiccups getting PO's approved. and sometimes there are delays, sometimes they don't happen at all.
                  that's contracting.
                  you don't have the gig until you're onsite <or logged in>.

this is what your cash reserves are for <i hate the pseudo-military term 'warchest'>
                  Totally agree, it's only a warchest if you intend to use it to pay to invade or conquer another contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by oilboil View Post
                    Totally agree, it's only a warchest if you intend to use it to pay to invade or conquer another contractor.
                    Not really.

war chest
                    noun
                    noun: warchest
                    a reserve of funds used for fighting a war.
                    a sum of money used for conducting a campaign or business.
                    "the party's election war chest"
                    It's the pot of money you use to prop up your business while you have no income coming in so fits the bill.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

One feels that this thread has veered slightly off topic.
                      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Working...
                      X