• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Made unemployed by an agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made unemployed by an agency

Morning,

I was in a contract, gave more than the required time to hand notice in in order to start a new longer contract that i'd received the paperwork for. So far so good. That is until late Friday I was advised my new contract didn't have a PO signed off, therefore i'm now unemployed. I even emailed the agency about the new contract before I handed my notice in just to make sure all ok, I was advised I had the new contract in an email i'd received so its confirmed.

Anything I can do about this? I'm so pissed off.

Cheers

Originally posted by Superhans View Post
    Morning,

I was in a contract, gave more than the required time to hand notice in in order to start a new longer contract that i'd received the paperwork for. So far so good. That is until late Friday I was advised my new contract didn't have a PO signed off, therefore i'm now unemployed. I even emailed the agency about the new contract before I handed my notice in just to make sure all ok, I was advised I had the new contract in an email i'd received so its confirmed.

Cheers
    Sorry to hear all that. Sadly it is quite standard. I fell victim to this once : I spent a week at home.

Sadly there is nothing you can do on a legal front as its a contract.

Any idea when the PO might come through?

Meanwhile - start looking elsewhere....

Comment

Morning,

Cheers
      Yes. If you haven't burned bridges, go ask your previous client if they still need you as a resource.

Comment

Welcome to contracting I'm afraid. This type of thing happens to most of us at some point.

You aren't unemployed. You are the director of a Ltd company. That company doesn't have any income coming in. It's very different and you need to understand this.

You should also have been working hard to save a warchest with at least 6 months money in it so you can survive time on the bench without having to worry. Periods of being out of work have to be expected.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Sorry to hear all that. Sadly it is quite standard. I fell victim to this once : I spent a week at home.

Sadly there is nothing you can do on a legal front as its a contract.

Any idea when the PO might come through?

Meanwhile - start looking elsewhere....
          Thanks for the reply, its the first time i've experienced this, or even heard of it. No idea on the PO, I'm not sure I'd want to work for them after this, pity they can't be held accountable, the contracts are worth tulip if this is how the system works.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
            Yes. If you haven't burned bridges, go ask your previous client if they still need you as a resource.
            Thanks, I sent the old cap in hand email this morning, be surprised if it comes to anything, the job market seems slow right now so they'll easily replace me

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Welcome to contracting I'm afraid. This type of thing happens to most of us at some point.

You aren't unemployed. You are the director of a Ltd company. That company doesn't have any income coming in. It's very different and you need to understand this.

You should also have been working hard to save a warchest with at least 6 months money in it so you can survive time on the bench without having to worry. Periods of being out of work have to be expected.
              Yes I keep forgetting the director part, the warchest is in place, I shouldn't be dipping into it that's all. Although this is a lesson learnt, no more contracts taken until PO confirmed as in place.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, its the first time i've experienced this, or even heard of it. No idea on the PO, I'm not sure I'd want to work for them after this, pity they can't be held accountable, the contracts are worth tulip if this is how the system works.
                lots of companies have hiccups getting PO's approved. and sometimes there are delays, sometimes they don't happen at all.
                that's contracting.
                you don't have the gig until you're onsite <or logged in>.

this is what your cash reserves are for <i hate the pseudo-military term 'warchest'>

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  lots of companies have hiccups getting PO's approved. and sometimes there are delays, sometimes they don't happen at all.
                  that's contracting.

this is what your cash reserves are for <i hate the pseudo-military term 'warchest'>
                  You're not a Xena Warrior Princess fan?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    that's contracting.

Understood, surely the agency should issue the contract once the PO is in place no? Seems like an arse about face way of doing things

Comment

Working...
                    X