• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does it matter who says the company name first?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it matter who says the company name first?

This might apply more to perm work, I am not sure. However I remember a few years ago when I got submitted for a gig and heard nothing a week or two later another agent phoned up and got me an interview with them.

The first agent phoned me and asked me if I could remember who had said the company name first, me or the other agent. I remember it was me, he was describing the company and I recognised it. The agents went to war over and I did not get the job, I suspect they were the reason!

Same sort of thing happened yesterday. An agent phoned me and told me that he thought I would recognise the company when he described it and I did and said the name without really thinking first.

Does this actually make a difference?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Yes it makes a huge difference.

Agents will fight tooth and nail over every commission.

No company wants to take on a legal fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Yes it makes a huge difference.

Agents will fight tooth and nail over every commission.

No company wants to take on a legal fight.
      Yes but does it matter whether I say the company name first or the agent does?

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        Yes, the agent could be on a fishing trip and describe a generic work place which you name as you are already in with them; and want's to sabotage your chances to get their own candidate in.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

It shouldn't but they will want to know in a pointless bunfight.

I've also been binned at interview time because of issues with two agents representing me. One advertising for Financial services client in Cheshire, the other said banking client in North West. No ient names mentioned and it still went south.

Even the actual name doesn't matter when agents are pitted against each other. It won't end well. Best thing to do is be very vigilent. Things like allowing sole reprentation for a period of time or checking back with the status of your application with Agent A before going further with agent B. Preferably via email so you can prove agent A wanted nothing to do with you when you apply to B for example.

Even then I don't think it will make all that much difference. Bunch of twats.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Keep a different phone for agents. Remember they are the enemy. This is war - information is power.

When asked if agent can represent you say "for the specified role at the specified company provided my CV is submitted".

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
              Yes, the agent could be on a fishing trip and describe a generic work place which you name as you are already in with them; and want's to sabotage your chances to get their own candidate in.
              That would make sense but is not the scenario I was describing.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I've also been binned at interview time because of issues with two agents representing me. One advertising for Financial services client in Cheshire, the other said banking client in North West. No ient names mentioned and it still went south.
                Barclays, Radbroke Hall?

Comment

no

Comment

Irritatingly being fussy often results in your CV going in the bin.

I've been given some ridiculous contracts over the years, and the number of times I've heard the line "But all the other contractors signed it" is enough to make me weep for these morons.

At one such wine & dine event the pimp brought up how problematic I was about signing it, and trotted out that line, to which another contractor went "Yup I just sign anything really".

Hard to be professional in an industry full of morons that will sign their children away if the contract they don't read says it.

So rocking the boat adding ultimatums to representation is just a red flag to recruiters that you're not just going to roll over for everything they make you do and you'll not hear back.

Comment

Working...
                    X