• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Same Role From Different Recruiting Agencies But Massive Price Difference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same Role From Different Recruiting Agencies But Massive Price Difference

I'm quite new to contracting and got my first 6 months contract this year which is due to expire end of the month. I have been approached by two different agencies for the same role but different day rate. One is offering £500 while the other is offering £300.

Is this normal in the recruiting world for agencies to try and get a contractor at the lowest possible rate they can get so they can keep the rest of the money? I've been getting calls for contract role for £150 to £200 day for 3rd Line 4th line IT roles which includes project work. I mean do contractors actually accept this low ball offers?

Maybe i'm new to contracting which is why i am thinking like this but i would love to hear your thoughts on this

Originally posted by skywalker007 View Post

Is this normal in the recruiting world for agencies to try and get a contractor at the lowest possible rate they can get so they can keep the rest of the money? I've been getting calls for contract role for £150 to £200 day for 3rd Line 4th line IT roles which includes project work. I mean do contractors actually accept this low ball offers?
    Yes, and yes.

There are other scenarios to consider though.

£500 is to entice you to go with them as they know there is another agent involved. Much later in the process, the rate on offer mysteriously drops, but you're already "theirs" as it were eg introduced to client and all that entails (see discussions elsewhere on this).

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Yes, and yes.

There are other scenarios to consider though.

£500 is to entice you to go with them as they know there is another agent involved. Much later in the process, the rate on offer mysteriously drops, but you're already "theirs" as it were eg introduced to client and all that entails (see discussions elsewhere on this).
      With such a high rate compared to the other this would be my guess as well.

You've got to think about this a little rather than get blinded by the figures though. What's the going rate for similar roles on the board right now. From that you can gauge which is the piss take and which is around market rate.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        With such a high rate compared to the other this would be my guess as well.

You've got to think about this a little rather than get blinded by the figures though. What's the going rate for similar roles on the board right now. From that you can gauge which is the piss take and which is around market rate.
        Agree with this, it could also be that one agency knows the budget and the other has guessed the budget based on other similar roles though

Comment

While the above is most likely true, it could also simply be a typo.

I saw an IT job on LinkedIn last week which listed American Welding Society (AWS) as one of the required skills.

Comment

Originally posted by thisisit View Post
            While the above is most likely true, it could also simply be a typo.

I saw an IT job on LinkedIn last week which listed American Welding Society (AWS) as one of the required skills.
            sounds like a really riveting experience :-D

Comment

Their rate is a negotiating position, you should know the rate you want. If you've been on the bench for 3 months then drop your rate to the pain barrier, don't get distracted by rate quotes. If you have several interviews then it's all about top dollar, and ignore the low rate ads.

If this is really the same role then going through whichever agent won't make much difference. In the end the negotiation will determine the rate.

If the point is you've been put forward for a lower rate than a more recent ad, the horse has already bolted. Your only chance it stick up the rate after the interview. My advice don't be distracted simply because you saw another rate for the same job. If you think you undersold yourself apply for a completely different contract at the higher rate. If you haven't been getting interviews then the lower rate is probably more realistic.

Contracts only last 6 months the main thing is to land one, if the rate is lower than you expect then aim to get a better rate with a new contract after the contract has been completed.

To get a high rate you need to be in demand, that means turning down interviews because there are too many.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 24 June 2019, 11:55.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
              X