• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract in the Netherlands (The Hague)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract in the Netherlands (The Hague)

Hi all,

Looking for some advice - I usually work in the UK but I have been offered a contract in the Hague - The Netherlands from a Dutch agency. My usual rates in London are between 450-400.

I have been offered €563 Euros a day (€70.60 per day) for 3 to 6 months in the Hague, but they mentioned that I need to work through a payroll construction as they pay hourly and not daily. They are not covering my expenses. They have agreed that I can work half the week in London and half in The Netherlands.

My question is, how will this affect my limited company in the UK, would it sit as 'not trading' during my period working in the Netherlands? Would I have to pay any UK taxes at all as half my time I will be in the Netherlands and half in UK.

Would the payroll construction company take into account all of my taxes and expenses? I will be working 2 days in the Hague and 3 in London so I will be travelling from London to the Hague once a week and also 2 days accommodation there also.

One of my concerns is what my actual take home pay will be working in the Netherlands and using a 'payroll construction' Is there an umbrella company or tax calculator you can recommend?

Many thank in advance.

have you asked them this??

Comment

If you are going to work in the UK part of the time, then this should be taxed in both the UK and the Netherlands.

If HMRC were to send an enquiry about whether you worked exclusively or not in the Netherlands and you were not then they would follow up with a tax demand.

Just so you're aware.

What you should do is have two separate contracts, one for the Netherlands and one for the UK

I suspect the agency wouldn't agree but that doesn't mean it would be legal if you only had one contract.

It is complicated, but that is how it is. I would probably turn it down on those grounds.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 18 June 2019, 20:49.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        If you are going to work in the UK part of the time, then this should be taxed in both the UK and the Netherlands.

If HMRC were to send an enquiry about whether you worked exclusively or not in the Netherlands and you were not then they would follow up with a tax demand.

Just so you're aware.

What you should do is have two separate contracts, one for the Netherlands and one for the UK

I suspect the agency wouldn't agree but that doesn't mean it would be legal if you only had one contract.

It is complicated, but that is how it is. I would probably turn it down on those grounds.
        Agent will never agree to that in a million years (as end client is responsible under Dutch law and will not allow the agent to do so)

He will need to cover his expenses from his net salary from the agent

I presume he will be under the 30% rule, that will pay for some expenses

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

You are going to be left with 1400ish net euros a week after tax and expenses

Comment

Unless you are desperate or the role is spectacular I wouldn't bother at that rate, after expenses and taxes you are bound to end up much worse than £400-£450pd for a UK based outside IR35 contract. On top of all the headache of travel and juggling taxes in 2 countries.

Also thing to consider is, do you have EU passport? Despite all the reassurances on both sides who knows what will happen in 4 months

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Agent will never agree to that in a million years (as end client is responsible under Dutch law and will not allow the agent to do so)

He will need to cover his expenses from his net salary from the agent

I presume he will be under the 30% rule, that will pay for some expenses

Working at home isn't really a legal way to do this. You can't have an employment in one country and hop over the border and work at home.

I worked in Switzerland whilst being resident in Germany and one thing they did demand to know was what proportion of my time was spent in Switzerland and whether any work was done in Germany.

HMRC might or might not enquire, I presume more likely not, but if they do, that is where is becomes difficult.

I did work in Luxembourg where they split my contract and a part of the contract was in the UK. This was actually to enable me to pay UK National Insurance but I had to keep proof of travel.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Just a quick note to basically agree with what has already been said.

We have a number of contractors who work both in the UK and overseas however they always have two contracts.

If this is acceptable to the client then it is reasonably straight forward as long as your accountant in the UK understand the correct application of Foreign Tax Credits, and ensuring that you can claim full foreign tax credits in the UK, by having a matching UK income tax liability. You cannot offset NL income tax paid against UK Dividend tax for instance.

I agree it is unlikely you would get the 30% ruling. That's not to say you cannot try, but the decision is the Dutch Tax Office and takes around 3 months to process. The criteria for successful application includes:- you to be employed in NL, with a specific skill set or expertise / experience that cannot be sourced in the Dutch Labour Market.

In the meantime reasonable commuting costs (lets say 20%, actual costs, receipts required) can be used as a deduction.

If we assumed all your work was done in NL then I would suggest, with an average amount of expenses at around 20%, and an A1 was in place you could expect in the region of €395 net per day from which you would then have to meet the commuting costs (20% = €112.60 per day) so true net after deducting all costs to earn that money, would be €282 approx per day.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys - it seems that its not worth it at all. Im taken aback by what I will be left with after taxes, expesnes etc. Plus the agent isnt willing to provide 2 separate contracts. Seems too complex and not worth the bother.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristyP View Post
                    Thanks for the advice guys - it seems that its not worth it at all. Im taken aback by what I will be left with after taxes, expesnes etc. Plus the agent isnt willing to provide 2 separate contracts. Seems too complex and not worth the bother.
                    After April next year, will be more or less the same amount you get if IR35 caught in UK

Comment

Working...
                    X