• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract - non competency clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contract - non competency clause

I am about to sign a new contract with an agency through to an end client, and I have been reading through the clauses.
    One of them refers to non-competency, but searching through the internet, I came accross this

One of the fundamental considerations when determining whether or not a person is an employee instead of an independent contractor is by the employer exerting control over the party. Having a party signs a non-compete agreement may be considered a higher level of control and that he or she is likely being treated as an employee rather than an independent contractor.
    A finding that a person is an employee instead of an independent contractor can result in a business owing penalties, overtime pay, workers’ compensation premiums, contributions to unemployment insurance programs and benefits.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by dogquoteplus; 21 June 2019, 09:42.

I think it's rubbish. I'd be willing to bet more business sign non compete clauses than employees do.

Could you link the article so we can check there is more context to this.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Could you link the article so we can check there is more context to this.
      Here you go: https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/da...greement-43937

Comment

I love the idea of a non competency clause.

Comment

Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post
          independent contractors are often not protected by federal or state laws,
          . For example, a Pennsylvania court found that a non-compete agreement was enforceable when the independent consultants
          At that point I'm done with this article. Ignore.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A contract shouldn't really have a non-compete clause. In my view it is a pointer to employment but probably there are more important considerations. I would try and have it removed but I wouldn't cancel the contract because of it.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              I think I'll get such a clause written in, in future. Makes the job much easier to achieve

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I think I'll get such a clause written in, in future. Makes the job much easier to achieve
                PC will send you his standard clause.

Comment

I've just got sent an addendum to my (existing) contract to sign, that states that my company and me personally guarantee that we agree with the non-competency clause described in the original contract, and then asking me to sign in person and as my Ltd's rep.

I think that's superfluous and a workaround on not mentioning me personally in the original contract. thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Good job the competency part is never enforced or many of us would never have worked in IT!!

Comment

Working...
                    X