• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vat for amsterdam contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vat for amsterdam contract

Would I be liable to charge VAT to a Dutch Client if my work is carried out in London but the client is Dutch? From my understanding place of supply relates to what country the client belongs to and not the physical location of the work and as the customer is Dutch then sales will be outside the scope of UK VAT.

If the above applies then does it matter if I bill the UK agency or the Dutch agency?

Cheers

I've been looking at something similar the last few days

If you sell services to businesses based in another EU country you don't usually need to charge your customers VAT. Your customers will pay VAT on the services received at the applicable rate in their country (using the reverse charge procedure).

You may still deduct the VAT that you paid on related expenses, such as for goods or services purchased specifically to make those sales.

Cross-border VAT rates in Europe - Your Europe

This help?

Comment

Or, I think, you can register for VAT in the Netherlands and then complete the VAT cycle that way.
      Reverse charge puts the onus on the buyer of your services
      Registering your co in the Netherlands means you take the responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Guesstimator View Post
        I've been looking at something similar the last few days

If you sell services to businesses based in another EU country you don't usually need to charge your customers VAT. Your customers will pay VAT on the services received at the applicable rate in their country (using the reverse charge procedure).

You may still deduct the VAT that you paid on related expenses, such as for goods or services purchased specifically to make those sales.

Cross-border VAT rates in Europe - Your Europe

This help?
        Thanks Guesstimator. The issue is should I be billing the UK agency or the Dutch agency? It was the Dutch agency who approached me for the contract but for some reason they are saying that I should bill the UK agency. If I bill the UK agency then surely that means I that I become liable to pay UK VAT. I will be working mostly in the UK but it was the Dutch agency who approached me for the contract - it is a Dutch based project but I would be carrying out the work in the UK for the Dutch office. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Samm View Post
          Thanks Guesstimator. The issue is should I be billing the UK agency or the Dutch agency? It was the Dutch agency who approached me for the contract but for some reason they are saying that I should bill the UK agency. If I bill the UK agency then surely that means I that I become liable to pay UK VAT. I will be working mostly in the UK but it was the Dutch agency who approached me for the contract - it is a Dutch based project but I would be carrying out the work in the UK for the Dutch office. Any thoughts?
          sounds like you have no choice. Bill the Uk agency + VAT.

And you're only collecting the VAT. It's not like it's coming from your pocket.

/thread
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            sounds like you have no choice. Bill the Uk agency + VAT.

And you're only collecting the VAT. It's not like it's coming from your pocket.

/thread
            Well from my understanding the daily rate was not including VAT and I was under the impression that I was invoicing the Dutch agency. But now as I am billing the UK agency then I presume I need to charge my daily rate plus VAT on top. Hopefully they are ok with that. They cant expect me to Bill the UK agency with no VAT can they??

Comment

Originally posted by Samm View Post
              Well from my understanding the daily rate was not including VAT and I was under the impression that I was invoicing the Dutch agency. But now as I am billing the UK agency then I presume I need to charge my daily rate plus VAT on top. Hopefully they are ok with that. They cant expect me to Bill the UK agency with no VAT can they??
              Nope. Not if you’re VAT registered.
              Read your contract with the UK agency. It will in there.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X