Expanding scope and IR35 Expanding scope and IR35
Posts 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7

    Default Expanding scope and IR35

    I'm currently contracting direct to client (no agency) on a project that has a couple of months left to run. The client has asked me to pick up another project after that, which would extend the contract by 6 months and will have a new SOW. However while working on the 1st project I need to attend some meetings and receive handover for the 2nd project. How do I avoid this looking like SDC? Simply ask them to expand the SOW for project 1 to cover the additional tasks?

    To be clear, I can accept or reject the 2nd project - there's no element of control.

    cheers!

  2. #2

    Fingers like lightning

    BlueSharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mosaic View Post
    I'm currently contracting direct to client (no agency) on a project that has a couple of months left to run. The client has asked me to pick up another project after that, which would extend the contract by 6 months and will have a new SOW. However while working on the 1st project I need to attend some meetings and receive handover for the 2nd project. How do I avoid this looking like SDC? Simply ask them to expand the SOW for project 1 to cover the additional tasks?

    To be clear, I can accept or reject the 2nd project - there's no element of control.

    cheers!

    New Statement of work should be suffice. I would list this as a separate project.

  3. #3

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Don't let the tax tail wag the business dog. You are overthinking this.

    Firstly who on earth is going to find out you've attended a few meetings? Also as a business there is nothing wrong with attending meetings to agree scope of work and the like, call them sales meetings or loss leaders. Either way, a few meeting won't be a problem. Don't mess about with your business just for some very minor IR35 flags IMO.

  4. #4

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks for feedback.

    Yes, perhaps I'm overthinking it. Just trying to keep things clean and tidy.

  5. #5

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mosaic View Post
    Thanks for feedback.

    Yes, perhaps I'm overthinking it. Just trying to keep things clean and tidy.
    Cool. You did get your contract reviewed at the beginning of the gig just to be covered didn't you?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Cool. You did get your contract reviewed at the beginning of the gig just to be covered didn't you?
    Yes I did. If I've learned one thing from reading this forum...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •