• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Urgent Advice Needed with Brexit and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent Advice Needed with Brexit and IR35

Hello wonderful people,

I need some advice.

Was in tulip-show TSB on a short term contract and left their low paying, zero skilled hellhole for a better opportunity. Sadly, the better opportunity is a much bigger high street bank and the role is boring.

I am considering going back there at a slightly better rate, long term contract and one month notice, subject to IR35 checks of course.

In light of BREXIT, IR35, and well its TSB lol, what would you advise.

I am worried these idiots will cut the one year contract short or something. I know its the risk of the work we do but...the contract here is really short and the rate is better. But TSB is offering a year and more interesting work..

If you are looking for outside IR35 contracting it's all 0-hour. Your role can be killed without notice, so the length of the contract is largely irrelevant.

Which leaves the question should you go back to TSB for less money, when you left them in the past for being "hell hole".

I hope you can answer this one yourself.

Comment

We don't know.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Brexit will be the land of milk and honey - why worry ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Ask your line manager

Comment

How do you expect us to give you advise on this? We're not you and we don't know the whole situation.

In all honesty, if this is the type of urgent advice you look for from internet strangers, you might want to consider moving to the safer land of permanent employment. You might not be cut to be a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
              How do you expect us to give you advise on this? We're not you and we don't know the whole situation.

In all honesty, if this is the type of urgent advice you look for from internet strangers, you might want to consider moving to the safer land of permanent employment. You might not be cut to be a contractor.
              Wow, that was a little harsh....

Comment

Originally posted by BionicTeddyBear View Post
                Wow, that was a little harsh....
                Point out he's used 'advise' and call him a name. Tends to do the trick.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unless you've had previous contracts at other banks that were less of a 'hellhole' or 'boring' then maybe look for work outside of banking.

As for potential contract duration it's largely meaningless from a 'client promise' point of view. Projects change so some short term contracts end up much longer and vice versa, or canned altogether or other projects offered. You can get a feel for the likelihood of this once in contract but don't presume anything up front. Even notice periods are largely meaningless as there is usually no obligation for client to offer work during the notice period so they can go down as unpaid time spent seeking the next contract.

Brexit and IR35 are factors much like the sun shining (so wanting time off between contracts over the summer) or it raining (so don't fancy the long traipse from the tube station to the client in rush hour London), just things to weigh up and continue contracting and invoicing anyway.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Point out he's used 'advise' and call him a name. Tends to do the trick.
                    I originally used 'advise' also on the second paragraph. For some reason I just corrected that one

Comment

Working...
                    X